Monday, September 13, 2010

What to do with bad days.

I have bad days now and then. I do. My feelings get hurt, I get discouraged, and some days nothing seems to go right. I do not have a lot of those days but they exist. Some days life just seems to feel like kicking my pants with a foot that doesn't get tired right away.

I am often asked for advice on what to do when a day like this presents itself. I suggest you do what I do when I find myself in this kind of predicament. I cry my eyes out. I grieve what needs to be grieved. I hurt over what I feel hurt about. I mope and drag around as much as I can because I want to get those feelings out. Unfortunately these events never last long enough for me to obtain ice cream and eat it in large quantities. It also does not transpire often enough for me to consider a preemptive strike and have ice cream on hand.

Anyway, back to getting out the feelings. I am not about to let any of those feelings take root, rot or have a chance to fester. Once your house is clean and in order ( all issues have been properly dealt with) than the sad and crying your eyes out phase is a short-lived event.

Once you have cried all your tears you will feel yourself springing back to life. For me, I can never make this last more than a day due to the pre-cleaned house condition, in which, I live. If you find that this is not true for you re-think whether or not there are issues to deal with

Have your cry. Do a real bang up hysterical, shuddering with each sob, job of it and move on. Upon completion, I recommend calling your girlfriends and making plans or putting in your favorite movie. Hang a sign on the refrigerator letting your husband know that the coast is clear. They do not always know how to interpret such an event and may think it is their fault. (In some cases it may be their fault so in these situations skip the sign on the refrigerator step. I am joking...sort of. )

With enough practice you will know what the correct formula is to tidy up and get back out there for you. Be efficient about this process. Why prolong it? Life is too much fun. Life cannot, however, be fun all the time. You are going to have some bad days. Some times we just need the release of crying. Crying when you need to can be very healing and will keep the low key blues away. That is when you feel kinda down but you cannot put your finger on why.

If you are on the upswing and are just getting over having a bad day. Here are some cool verses to help you with the process. I hope that you find them as inspirational as I do.

"For with God nothing will be impossible." Luke 1:37

"But he said, "The things which are impossible with men are possible with God." Luke 18:27

"Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us." Ephesians 3:20

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I don't know about anyone else Susan, but I think I'm getting a whole lot of free therapy with these posts! I especially feel that the last two posts were just for me, right when I needed them. With your 'therapy sessions' I am trying hard to finally own the physical and emotional pain of my breast cancer journey. I've spent lots of energy minimizing to everyone (and you) just how life changing and frigtening it was, and is. Big surprise that I've got a years worth of tears that need to be released. Thanks for giving me permission to cry for me, and cry for you, and cry for the canning jar that didn't seal and the movie that was sad and the scars all over my chest...well, you get the picture.

Send me the bill...

:)

Anonymous said...

Wow Susan! What a difference you are making for me! You are a special person and a true inspiration. With all my heart I wish that you could be inspirational through some other venue. But as we discussed in the swimming pool when you wre here visiting your mother, God is not surprised by any of this. In the same way, we know that He is not surprised by any of MY various sorrows. And if He is not surprised then we can be sure that He knows what to do for each of us...to grow us...to enrich us...and to call us to Himself. We are all on a journey to reach eternity with Him. Who knows? I could reach there before you do. None of us know the day or the hour. In the meantime you are showing others how to truly LIVE. And for that I am grateful.

Dianne (Mom's neighbor)