Thursday, September 2, 2010

Coach Purse Addiction

Mom,

Thanks for outing me on the blog regarding my newly developed taste for fine purses made by Coach. 

I had a client, whom we will refer to as Client X, felt that she was taking advantage of my time and energy and wished that she could find some way to repay me.  I told her to "get over it" as I was happy with the amount I was being paid for sessions (part of the problem was that we were doing multiple sessions weekly and I can only charge her insurance 1 time per week so I was charging her the normal "co-pay" for the additional sessions).  Since she could not get past it I suggested she tip me from time to time to ease her conscious or try to "get over it." 

One day I received an email from her asking if the "tip" could be in the form of a Coach purse.  At the time I thought that this was utterly ridiculous and was quite happy with my purse that Huy bought me in Vietnam when he was courting me.  I continued to think it over and asked her if she really needed to feel better and stated several times that it was unnecessary.  She stated that she planned to get rid of it anyway and it would do her a big favor.  So I relented.  Huge mistake.  Hold on while I check my email and find out when this was exactly.

OK folks, it is worse than I thought as this occurred in the beginning of June.  It is now September and I am sad to say that multiple Coach purses, wallets, briefcase and business tote later, it is pretty solidly set in.  Shortly after she gave me the purse, I looked on Coach.com and saw how much they are. Then I went to Florida and Mom presented me with the brown beauty (that I so deftly slipped in my suitcase).  All of this I was able to take in stride until Courtney ( Coach purse aficionado) recognized them as Coach and fussed over them and the rest they say is history.

I try to tell myself that it all stems out of my need to focus on something positive but the sheer totality of this addiction is staggering.  Jimmy has found me some real major bargains in her weekend travels and I have scored some beauties in my Craigslist career.  It is hopeless.  Even now as I write I am itching to check Craigslist for Coach purses.  I shake my head at myself.

They say that confession is good for the soul and perhaps confession to this blog audience and having people ask me if I have bought any lately will help me to stop.  I sincerely doubt it and secretly hope it doesn't, but we will see.  I put it to you like this....Is there anything wrong with having fabulous purses?  Is there anything wrong with a little self-indulgence?  Ok, as a therapist I know that too much self-indulgence is not good but I am grasping at straws here.  I Love Coach.  There, I said it.  Call me a blood sucking weasel but I stand behind my decision to accept the gift from my mother and the right to delight in fabulous purses.  I am a girl!!!

Susan

No comments: