Wednesday, September 22, 2010

A Pay it Forward Suggestion

I have to confess that I am a very lucky woman.  Raising a child is very hard.  Since my illness my ability to chase after, play with, and tend to my child is severely compromised.  Were it not for my wonderful husband and amazing father I would have slipped into a deep depression.  I always dreamt of the day that I would be a mother and I had such high hopes that I could be a wonderful mother.  I think I am a  good mother but I am forced to leave the heavy lifting to the men in Tan's life.

I often sit in amazement watching my son play.  I do what I can to assist my husband with the daily demands that only a toddler can bring.  When I fall onto the couch exhausted it hits me.  How on earth does a single mother manage?  It is unfathomable to me and the thought that many of them have more than one makes me quake in horror.

If you are accepting my challenge to pay it forward and practice random acts of kindness than I encourage you to steer in the direction of a single mother.  Consider buying an extra gallon of milk at the store and a pound of butter and drop it off to her.  A bag of name brand grocery items that are unexpected would be a welcome treat as she probably buys generic items as she pinches pennies. 

Women who are on food stamps have to purchase toilet paper, shampoo, laundry soap, and all other cleaning supplies on their own. These would make nice gifts and help to stretch her budget. I, myself was on food stamps when I was first attending college and working at McDonald's.  It was a blessing to me and I was able to improve my nutrition and quality of life as a result. 

You will not have to look hard to find a single mother who could use some assistance.  Remember that she is not taken care of as well as I am or probably you are.  Those children that she has in tow are the future of our great country.  You could be the rainbow in their rainy day.  I would love to write about you on my blog and tell the story.  Consider what you are already good at and work from there.  If you have a handy husband bribe him into lending his skills to her home while you sit with her and have a quiet moment. I am looking to fill my honor roll and I have a prize to give out.  Plus it just makes this life a little sunnier to the woman who no doubt drops from exhaustion each night bearing this burden alone.. 

Susan

No comments: