Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Be Heroic

I love to watch movies. I like the feel good kind. You know, the ones where someone needs help and gets the help. Someone heroic comes along and notices a need and then risks life and limb to provide that help. In the movies that person always rushes in, does exactly the right thing and never hesitates for a moment.

If only being heroic in real life could be so simple. I get to work with soldiers. I have gotten to hear some real life accounts of the men in women in uniform acting in a truly heroic manner. I have listened to them tell stories of close calls, failed attempts and the times when they beat the odds. The largest correlating factor in all those stories is fear. Being heroic never equals acting without fear. I have heard that courage is being scared out of your mind but doing the right thing anyway.

Having cancer has not made me any braver. It has not made me a hero and I certainly cannot say there has been no fear. If anything, cancer has made me more cautious. I am a little more nervous about coming into contact with ill people or wearing myself out too much. I am a little afraid of going back in a wheel chair or being hospitalized again. I think fear always come with the unknown. I am grateful that I was given the opportunity to face it after I had already seen my share of scary situations and had already forced myself to keep moving through them. It was good practice.

I am not scared because I have cancer. I have had to look down the barrel of some unpleasant things like bone marrow biopsies, surgery, and needles. I have not wanted to participate in those things but I didn't like the alternative. I have to confess, liking movies as I do, I often hear Patrick Swayze say "pain don't hurt" from one of his movies when facing a situation like that. It is a Hollywood Heroic thing to say that makes absolutely no sense and is from a movie, that wasn't one of his best but I like it. It reminds me that I can take it. Heck ya, I say to myself, I have guts all day, bring it on.

I guess one of the things in this life we can all be assured of is that we will have a chance to be heroic. We will have an opportunity to make a difference in someone's life. Whether it be to parent a child, be-friend someone, or assist a stranger in their time of need someday we will be called on. When the time presents itself to you it will come with a certain degree of fear but don't let that stop you.

Keep these verses in mind because they will help steady you.

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil for you are with me. Your rod and your staff, they comfort me. Psalm 23:4

"Peace I leave with you. My peace I give to you; not as the world gives, give I to you. Don't let your heart be troubled, neither let it be fearful." John 14:27

"Come to me, all you who labor and are heavily burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart; and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Mathew 11:28-30

1 comment:

Scott said...

Wow great looking page you gals have put together. Love that song too.

Good days and bad just remember

"pretty soon cancer with shake in fear at the mention of your name"

I have started reminding bad things out loud, "careful I know Susan".

Love peace and light

Scott