Thursday, September 30, 2010

Being Silly

When was the last time that you were completely silly.  Do you remember the last time that you laughed so hard that you thought for a split second that you might lose your life?  Have you ever been completely swept away by a fierce attack of the sillies? 

One thing that I think I have done completely well, when it comes to motherhood, is to impart in my son a strong sense of fun.  We love to be silly together and we both laugh until rendered defenseless by giggles.  It can start with a wide-eyed look from me and he will bust into a grin.  Then I will say something, anything in a silly tone of voice, and we are off to the races.

We live in such a serious world.  You do not have to look far to find sadness.  Some people watch the news every night and in doing so are exposed to a dose of scary, terrible things happening in our world.  I cannot watch the news. I find it so upsetting.  I believe it is important to be aware but not completely plugged in.  If you are a news watcher try a few nights in a row without it and see if you notice a change.

In my earlier days I was a little too serious.  Thank goodness I had a friend that I could be silly with.  My oldest and dearest friend Roxanne.  We can spend an evening together and just roll in laughter.  She has some mighty good stories.  Even better than mine.  She will tell a few and we will laugh until we cant breathe and then recover and then we will repeat.  It feels so good to laugh your guts out.

If you are reading this post and you have no idea what I am talking about then we need to get started on you right away.  You might need to borrow a young child to assist you because probably no adult in your life will be able to help.  Try going to http://www.youtube.com/ and typing in The Muppet Show, Mahna Mahna and the Snowths.  Watch and learn.  If you don't find this silly, funny and appealing it will be an indicator of how far into serious land you have ventured.


This is a little video of me and my son being silly.  We seem to hit upon a word that to him is funny.  We call it the "word of the day."  In this video the word is Blech!  He finds it hilarious.  I hope it gives  you an attack of the sillies.

You may need to hit pause on the music player in order to be able to hear him laughing.

3 comments:

Jo said...

And laughter has healing properties, as well!
The best complement I ever got was from someone who wrote to me, when I left my hospice job, that I had a strong witness to both the spiritual and the silly.
I now send that complement your way. Thanks for speaking up for silliness -- it is life-giving.

Roxanne Ashey said...

Susan we have never had a lack of the sillies, in fact I try not to consume liquid in your presence as it might find its way back out via my nose...I really enjoyed our visit...and look forward to our next bout of the sillies even if its on the phone (my preference will always be in person but...you take what you can get) and as far as my stories, I think yours are equivelent and you only find mine funnier because its not you as the main character :) Love you hunny, and I love and am addicted to this blog...feel free to post our collage showing us being silly...its why i chose those particular pics...its "us".

Kate said...

Laughing till your face hurts is the best way ever to spend time with friends! <3