Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving Hats

This year, in the spirit of fun and new traditions, Mom set about making us Thanksgiving Hats to wear on "the big day."  Being the resourceful and computer savvy type she found a template online.  On one of her supply shopping trips she purchased black and white poster board.  On Thanksgiving eve, we watched a movie, cooked and watched as she assembled her pilgrim hats.  Dad pitched in and colored the gold buckles.

We had fun posing our hats around the house and taking photos as the turkey cooked in the oven and filled the condo with that delicious Thanksgiving aroma.  If you look at our individual facebook pages you will see the winning photos posted as our profile pictures.  The one you see here is mine.  Mom took hers in the place settings on our holiday table.

I am not sure where this brainstorm came from but in the spirit of playfulness we all cooperated.  My husband and I joke that Tan has inherited the "Comeau Silliness".  I think being silly and having fun is a value that makes life fun and helps ensure that one does not take oneself too seriously.  After all there is simply too much sadness and seriousness in day to day living. 

Pilgrim Crew
I think that this hat wearing will become part of the Thanksgiving holiday.  Next year, we will probably represent the Native American population in the American Traditional Thanksgiving.  Perhaps some of us will opt to represent the Pilgrims I cannot say for sure.  Meanwhile, we will be busy cooking up some more silly ideas and playing them out.  We could use some levity in our lives, especially right now.

We had a very enjoyable Thanksgiving.  I hope that your Thanksgiving was equally as enjoyable.  As Mom blogged earlier our menu is pretty much fixed and I loved it.  I was able to snip the marsh mellows into the sweetened condensed milk as Mom put together the graham cracker roll and today I peeled the potatoes.  I had no troubles sitting through the entire meal, which I am grateful for.  Believe it or not the baby ate squash though all predictions were to the contrary.

Mrs. Pilgrim
This year it all seemed to matter that much more.  Having Mom here has been a wonderful blessing and I owe her a debt of gratitude.  Thanks Mom, I mean Mrs. Comeau Pilgrim, it was a memorable Thanksgiving.  Thank you for cooking all the favorites and for watching Shaun The Sheep with the baby over and over again.  Mom has taught him some excellent dance moves and he jumps to his feet at the end of every episode to dance along with the credits as they play the theme song.

No comments: