Sunday, November 7, 2010

Fall Back

My favorite holiday of the year is fall back.  To me, there is nothing as delicious and juicy as that extra hour.  Don't you agree?  Not a holiday you say?  I declare that it is and a mighty fine one at that.

Now it would be a whole lot easier to celebrate fall back if it were not for spring forward and the whole pay back system.  I understand how it all balances out but I can honestly say that, for me, one is celebrated and the other is not.

Anyway, back to my love of fall back day.  I think that there should be a fall back seasonal candy and certain traditions.  Now let me think for a minute about what they should be.  Peppermint is spoken for and so is chocolate.  I guess I will nominate the lollipop.  It is already a favorite of my son and it can be a hands free confection, perfect for the changing of clocks, which is just part of the fall back celebration.

For this holiday, no special characters are needed, therefore, no silly cover stories need be written.  However, it would be a wonderful idea to discuss the principle of time and how we as Christians know not the time/moment that Jesus is due to return.  It would be a great time to look up the verses that pertain to that as a family.  It would also be a good opportunity to talk about time and how each of us are not promised any guarantee on how much of it we get.

I cannot think of any other traditions for fall back day at this particular moment.  It is a bit late in the season for timed potato sack races or other outdoor type activities.  Fall back is a distinguished holiday and so it would simply not do to have other forced or copycat activities from the other holidays.  It is, however, a perfect time for family favorite foods and getting together.  Please note that though distinguished, this holiday is not stuffy, and only casual clothing should be worn while celebrating.

As for me and my family, we have not decided upon a traditional food for the main meal of our fall back celebration but we have concluded on the dessert.  Creme Brulee is the official Comeau family fall back special.  Though we will eat it often, I imagine, it will not taste quite as rich as on fall back day.  Okay it will but you gotta admit that sounded good.

Next year when you celebrate fall back just remember you heard it here first.  I would love to hear what traditions you came up with.  If any of you have any suggestions or favorite fall back day stories please feel free to comment.

Susan

No comments: