Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Been Wig Shopping Lately?

If you haven't been wig shopping lately you might want to go and see all the latest technology in hair.  I went to Ebony in town with Mom yesterday and there must have been about 500 wigs.  I was looking for a lace front with real human hair.  With a lace front wig you don't have to have bangs or thick bangs to hide the wig cap.  I found in my other wigs it made them look wiggy and I never really felt comfortable.

Now I am not dissing my other wigs.  I was not in a place last year that I could emotionally handle shopping for a wig.  The wig that was gifted to me was just what I needed.  It was very close to my color and style I had been wearing at that time.

When my hair grew back this year it was much darker as it was freshly grown and never highlighted.  Originally, I thought I would get a darker wig and shorter so I wouldn't have such a drastic change.  I tried on a bunch of them searching for that one that would be me.  It is a daunting task with so many choices.  I encourage you to pop in and check it out.  You will be shocked about how many ways you can buy hair.

I ended up with a longer wig that was highlighted with some golds and reds and long.  It is a bit sassy so it matches my personality pretty well.  lol.  I am needing to have it styled by my girl Jami and then I will be all set for the hair loss right before the holidays.  No whohoos of excitement but I am relieved that I will be prepared. 

I have already posted my other wig on craigslist with all the accessories so hopefully I can sell it and mitigate my damages.  With human hair wigs you can wash them but they need to be styled after.  You don't have to worry about heat and you can curl them or flat iron them.  They are worth it if you can find a good one.  I paid $345 for it and at that price it was an insane bargain.  When I priced them last year I found you couldn't touch one for less than $1000.

Some of you may be wondering why I didn't get one from the Cancer Society.  Well I tried.  Believe me.  I looked through all of the wigs at Rocky Mountain Cancer's two locations and attended the Look Good Feel Better program.  They gave you a makeover, new makeup and helped you get into a wig.  All of the wigs were used and some were pretty ratty looking.  The vast majority of them were kinda old lady like wigs.  Short, gray and curly.  There was one Dolly Parton type wig but it wasn't practical for working and platinum blond isn't really very flattering on me.

I did find a human hair wig on craigslist last Christmas, actually Huy found it for me, but I never felt comfortable in it and it was an old fashioned one with double stick tape.  I never lost all of my hair so this made it a bit hard to use.  Also it had been styled and I wasn't keen on the bangs.  Beautiful wig though, really.

3 comments:

Kate said...

Wow, guys, great choice. Smart avoiding the Dolly Parton look...just sayin', lol. Hey, if you gotta do something, then by golly do it in style! You look beautious! :-)

John DeWitt said...

I've been trying for months to get my hair the length and style of your new wig. Maybe I should just give up and go buy one! No bed hair,no washing, drying, styling in a rush in the morning, no expensive hair cuts and coloring every 6 weeks. I think you're on to something... How much did you say that Dolly Parton wig was?!

In all seriousness, you look lovely in your new locks!

Sarah

Roxanne Ashey said...

I still think you should have gone red head and I will always remember wig tryouts in april :) But i agree, they weren't quite fitting of your personality, I am glad you found one you like...love you hunny!

Roxanne