Sunday, October 24, 2010

The Spirit Is Willing But The Body Is Weak

This week I received radiation every day.  My right hip was giving me pretty constant pain and I have developed weakness.  Weakness to the point where I need to assist my right leg in and out of the car and up into bed.

I tolerated the radiation very well, in fact, I felt nothing during the treatments and suffered little side effects during the week.  These treatments should eliminate the pain and help with the weakness.  As my cancer have moved into my bone marrow using radiation is not a great idea and in fact these treatments probably negatively affected about 5% of my bone marrow.  This is why it has not been part of my ongoing treatment regimen.

I get worn out from working but there is also an initial energizing effect so it can sneak up on me.  I enjoyed my work week despite the toll these extra appointments took on my time.  I was really feeling like I got away with it pretty well until Saturday morning hit.  I awoke with extreme exhaustion and great difficulty moving around.  It was tough to turn over in bed and to get in and out of bed.

I heard my son laughing and playing with his father and I wanted to join in.  It can be a difficult thing to want to participate in the activities that have brought me joy in the past and be physically unable.  I slept like a log last night but woke with the same difficulties as yesterday along with a headache and some nausea.  This can be crushing both physically and emotionally.  I am growing tired of this situation and wish that I could return to "normal".  I continue to have great hope that I can beat this and resume part if not all of what I desire to do.

For those of you that have checked this blog this week and wondered why there were no new posts I can tell you it was because this week was filled to the brim.  I confess that I am pretty worn out.  It would also be helpful to hear from you all with suggestions on posting material.  I seem to be suffering from some writers block. 

No comments: