Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Giving Up

I am holding a dream. It is tightly clutched in my hands and cradled against my chest. This dream has been dealt a near fatal blow. Ok, I am being overly dramatic with those opening sentences but then again I feel that way about my dreams.  Whether it be something "important" or something less serious like the dream of how I will like my next Coach purse.  I feel that intimate about my dreams.

A dream of mine has received a blow. I am contemplating giving up.  I feel the edges unraveling around me, my arms feel heavy and I almost hear a whisper to let go.  A few tears slide down my cheeks. I feel as though I am standing on a cliff and the wind is whipping around me and I can see nothing as it is pitch black.  I question myself and analyze if I am being ridiculous and over the top. My mind tells me to be reasonable.

In the midst of all of this I am contacted by a client.  He is in emotional pain.  He has been falsely accused of something terrible.  He has spent ten months in a military jail without pay and continues to receive none while he waits for his reinstatement or retirement from military service.  He is the custodial parent of three children.  He has recently found a job and learned today that he lost it.  He has lost his car and is in peril of losing his home.  He is awaiting the news of his appeal in a higher court on the false charges but they take their time in D.C. and he will have to wait months more.  He didn't take their deal.  He stood on principal and didn't care what it might cost him.  He is barely hanging on now. He needs me.

I am having one of those moments where though I just want to lay helpless on the floor in a depressed heap  my spirit rises in me like a lioness.  I see myself in the scene where Frodo has fallen over the edge of the ravine and Sam grabs him from the movie Return of the King (Lord of the Rings).  I am Sam, of course, and he is Frodo.  A strength rises up in me and I believe that there is something greater, something worth fighting for, and I believe I must save him because this situation is only temporary.

There is a belief inside me that says you never give up.  You never give up.  The very core of my being believes that it is darkest right before the dawn and that things look really, really bad right as you are about to receive breakthrough.  A moment ago, I was ready to give up.  Ready to give in.  Now I see that I cannot.  If I must assist him and his dreams that I cannot let go of my own.  Even if they would seem trivial. 

I have no idea what will happen.  I don't know if I will have to modify or scale back on my dream.  I don't see how the realization of it in it's current form is possible.  I will see him on Wednesday.  He will need me to be strong and he will need me to inspire him to keep going.  I will have to find all of this within myself first before I can help him.  It is a daunting task.  My reality is squaring off with my belief system.  It will be interesting to see who will reign victorious.

Obviously I have been watching too many movies.  I will have to keep you posted on this one.  I would love to hear your comments on giving up.  It will help me as I prepare to face him and as I face my own struggle.

2 comments:

Jo said...

I have thought a lot about your post. I’d like to offer another perspective on “giving up,” formed from my personal life, my faith, and my hospice experience. Others may not agree, but you are sharing your honest you, so I will share my honest me.

For many people dealing with devastating illness, a moment comes such as the one you described: the edges unraveling, the weight on the body, the whispered voice saying, “let go.” You clearly countered that moment with another powerful moment -- to go on and to give what only you have to give. But for those who have passed the time when the lioness within can arise, I would like to say that they are not giving up.

At such a time, there is grace to welcome a gentle rest and healing, to be held in the arms of our creator. It is not giving up, it is saying “yes.” There is a new definition of hope. I have no doubt that God always heals. Sometimes, this healing happens outside our worldly sight. But I know it happens. When it is the right time, we run forward to embrace it.

You spoke in an earlier post about your dreams. And your marvelous house! And little ones to hold. And all your loved ones around you. I imagine that I’m not the only one whose mind immediately connected with “in my Father’s house there are many mansions…” Dreams are part of our souls, and they do not die but live on to be fulfilled in an awesome way. I don’t know how, but I believe they do. I thank God when I picture my late loved ones joyfully in the midst of their dreams.

As you said, that’s not where you are, and I gratefully bless that lioness that continues to fight the good fight for you and for those in your care. Of course it is my fervent prayer that the welcome “yes” is not where this particular journey is headed. But I hope you can believe that wherever it takes you, you will never be giving up.

Susan said...

Jo,

You offer such a beautiful perspective on dying, that I had not considered, as I wrote this blog post on giving up on your dreams.

Though I was lamenting about yet another obstacle thrown up against my dream of a beautiful kitchen, I believe you are quite correct in that it could also apply marvelously and quite aptly to a quiet acceptance and a peaceful passing. Neither of which I would even consider, like you, until after I had fought a good fight.

I can assure you and everyone else that there is still plenty of healthy fight left in me.

There have been some good signs pointing to the fact that there might be good reason to be optimistic that the hormone treatments are begining to work. This will be confirmed via testing done tomorrow Oct 14 and I might know by Friday afternoon the 15th.

I will most assuredly be posting this on Facebook and blogging about it so please stay tuned.

I do not know how many days, months and years there are left to my life, which puts me in the same boat as everyone else, but when that day comes I hope that I can face it with as much grace as you describe.

God Bless those called to the ministry of hospice both on the volunteer and career side of things. It takes a special person to be able to do that kind of work and it is such an invaluable gift to the family.

You are no doubt a very beautiful person and I look forward to the day when I can hug you tightly in person.

Thank you again for this beautiful perspective on things and for being kind enough to comment.

Susan