Friday, October 15, 2010

A Special Gift

I was blessed this week with a prayer shawl, as seen in photo, that someone has hand knit as part of a ministry.  Have you heard about the Shawl Ministry?

The ministry folks make these "prayer shawls" for those suffering through a time of transition, crisis or need.  The shawls are often made with a specific friend in mind and are either knit or crocheted.  As they are made, the maker holds that person in his or her thoughts, according to her spiritual traditions.

I received this beautiful shawl from Barbara Browd who included a card that informed me that I have been in her thoughts and prayers.  Included in the card was a beautiful poem that I will include here below.  This shawl is soft and the colors are very pretty.  Thank you so much Barbara for thinking of me and sending me this gift. 

A Prayer Of Blessing by Janet Bristow

May God's grace be on this shawl - warming, comforting and enfolding.
May this mantle be a safe haven
sustaining and embracing in
good times as well as
difficult ones.
May the one who receives this
shawl - be cradled in hope -
kept in joy - graced with peace

You can find out more at http://www.shawlministry.com/ and in the book Knitting Into The Ministry
and wrapped in love.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I also received a prayer shawl from the prayer shawl ministry at our church when I had my mastectomy. It was a source of comfort physically and mentally during my recovery and frequent hospital admissions last year. I lugged that shawl around like a linus blanket and snuggled in it for comfort on many occaisions, and still do today!
Hope yours is a comfort to you as well.

Sarah