Sunday, October 17, 2010

On This Day God Wants You To Know

God wants you to know that circumstances don't make you, they reveal you. How you respond to the life God offers you is what makes you.  How are you handling the life that you have been given?

My friend Roxanne has signed up to receive these little God wants you to know notices on Facebook.  I confess that I have not signed up for them, though I am often uplifted by the messages that I read on her profile.  This particular one gives me pause for reflection.  How have I handled this circumstance of cancer and what has this part of my journey revealed about my character?

Nothing is more revealing, challenging, and demonstrative of character than crisis.  Cancer is certainly a crisis that effects an entire family.  It holds a magnifying glass to any cracks or defects and can exploit any weakness that exists.  We, as a family, are being tested in this portion of the journey as a result of this cancer.  Our loyalty, faith and commitment to each other, as a family, is being brought into question and challenged by the stress of this situation.

I have learned things about myself that I do not think I would otherwise have learned.  I didn't realize how strong my commitment was to my work.  There have been days when I practically had to crawl up the stairs to my office and I was grateful that I could still get up there.  I am surprised at how much this portion of my life means to me and how strong the drive is in me to be who I am.

My desire to remain a mother to my child and member of my family has quadrupled.  Life is so precious and every minute I have with my son and my family is treasured.  I love my family both my immediate and my extended.  Do we get along all of the time.  Most assuredly not. Past slights, eccentricities and annoying mannerisms certainly do not weigh more important than the ties that bind, especially now.

Pain and fatigue has also brought negative traits out in me.  I am guilty of being grouchy, irritable and snarly at times with those that I love.  My ability to be patient has been significantly reduced.  My willingness to go out and go shopping, out to restaurants and seek entertainment outside of the home has been reduced to practically nil.  As a result, my husband and friends have been neglected.  I almost have a full plate with appointments and work and there is not much energy left over, even for talking on the phone.  Many evenings I am in bed at 6 pm..

Having cancer has encouraged me to consider my character and work on the weak spots.  It is a good idea for everyone to take a little self-inventory now and then.  It is much more fun to do voluntarily, when things are going well, than when a little crisis is sprinkled into your life.  I think it is important to mention, here, that crisis is part of the human condition and does not mean you are being punished or you have done something to deserve it.  I hope that you will take a look at your character and see what God may want to reveal to you.

Susan

1 comment:

Kate said...

You are an incredibly beautiful woman with tremendous insight and strength. If only it were easier to reach within as you have and see ourselves, see who we really are and react to what God is telling us. Crisis does tend to lead us to that inner exploration. I see you and hear you, and I am learning a lot from you, and drawing from your strong sense of faith and your spirit. I am guessing that is ok...your blog is a gift, and I thank you :-)