Sunday, October 10, 2010

Remodel Update


While I was in Maine my husband worked night and day to begin making my dreams a reality.  He painted and installed our hardwood floors.  We chose a natural bamboo color which brightened up our living room fantastically and looks incredible.  It was a labor of love and he worked hard to accomplish it.  
Before -Tan with puppets "Orange" and "Purple"

If you are wondering about the lack of furniture I can tell you that I sold everything on Craigslist so that he would not have to put it in storage or move it while trying to tackle this job of installation on his own.  We added a new buttery beige wall color and the bamboo hardwood floors that were pre-finished in a natural finish.

I do not know how many of you have remodeled with your husbands but it is not a peace and harmony inducing experience.  Especially with a couple of independent, stubborn, knuckleheads like ourselves.  We were attracted to the fierce independent nature we found in each other but have discovered at times it doesn't exactly produce the best results.  Especially when we have opposing ideas about how we would like things to look or how to have things arranged.  Alas, that is a story best reserved for it's own blog and I will have to tell it another day. 

We are just completing the planning and design stages for the kitchen.  I can hardly contain my excitement over this portion of the project.  I think it will be gorgeous.  There will be a lot of details and help needed from a variety of people but I think the end results will be magnificent.  We have design drawings of the cabinets and they are so beautiful I am considering have them framed and hanging them so I can see them all the time.

See for yourself!!

2 comments:

Kate said...

The floor looks great, Susan, and how neat to have it waiting for you when you got home! I like the kitchen cabinets, too. When we remodeled, we ran a little short and just painted ours. Unfortunately, I have never really liked them...ahhh, part of my house dream. Enjoy the new stuff, and enjoy your stubborn husband. I have one, too, and I wouldn't want it any other way! :-)

Anonymous said...

I love the floors, but I really want to see the red entryway. Just keep working on Huy. You will eventually wear him down, just like you did when working on me!