Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Hope and Encouragement

Psalm 3:3-6  But You, O LORD, are a shield for me, My glory and the One who lifts up my head. I cried to the LORD with my voice, And He heard me from His holy hill. I lay down and slept; I awoke, for the LORD sustained me. I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people. Who have set themselves against me all around.

Psalm 20:1-5  May the LORD answer you in the day of trouble; May the name of the God of Jacob defend you; May He send you help from the sanctuary, And strengthen you out of Zion; May He remember all your offerings, And accept your burnt sacrifice. May He grant you according to your heart's desire, And fulfill all your purpose. We will rejoice in your salvation, And in the name of our God we will set up our banners! May the LORD fulfill all your petitions.

Psalm 94:19 In the multitude of my anxieties within me, Your comforts delight my soul.

Psalm 34:4  I sought the LORD, and He heard me, And delivered me from all my fears.

There is great reason for hope.  You may not be an avid reader of the Bible but it is filled with promises, hope and encouragement.  I look into the future and see every reason to believe that all will be as it should.  I am already taken care of.  I am lifted daily by the love and regard I receive from my family and friends.

I was protected last night when I made what could have been a fatal mistake.  I have joint pain and heat eases that pain.  Since my recent radiation treatments I have been advised not to use a heating pad on that area.  I feel asleep last night on an old heating pad (no automatic shut off like my over sized new heating pad).  I awoke in the night feeling too warm and pushed it aside.  There was a funny smell and I looked to see if the heating pad light was on and it was not.  In the morning, I saw that my pillow was scorched, the pillow case browned, the heating pad burned, melted and ruined.  I inspected the t-shirt I was wearing and it was fine.  My skin was not burned though I was lying on the heating pad.  I felt a bit shaken but thankful that no serious damage was done to me or to my husband.

I am working on trust and on hope.  I feel good.  Some days I move slower than other days but I am determined to keep moving.  In the last week, I have personally been involved in triumph and have helped lead others out of a dark and scary place.  It is an honor. 

I have fallen in love with my son and my husband all over again.  I plan to repeat this exercise as many times as possible.  I stare at my son's face in wonder and love every feature and facial expression. It feels good to fall in love.  I make a mental note to dwell in that place of love as often as I can. 

If I wanted to I could ruminate on all the scary things that I could be facing in the next few months.  I could go back to the negative noticing that I engaged in some time back.  I could mull over all that is wrong with the world and how terrifying it is.  I could or I could focus instead on hope.  When I look at Pikes Peak, which is hard to miss, I nearly always remember the words of Psalm 121.  It has comforted in me in times of sadness and fear over the years that I have lived in Colorado Springs.  I have copied them here for you.

Psalm 121
 1 I will lift up my eyes to the hills—
         From whence comes my help?
 2 My help comes from the LORD,
         Who made heaven and earth.
 3 He will not allow your foot to be moved;
         He who keeps you will not slumber.
 4 Behold, He who keeps Israel
         Shall neither slumber nor sleep.
 5 The LORD is your keeper;
         The LORD is your shade at your right hand.
 6 The sun shall not strike you by day,
         Nor the moon by night.
 7 The LORD shall preserve you from all evil;
         He shall preserve your soul.
 8 The LORD shall preserve your going out and your coming in
         From this time forth, and even forevermore.

No comments: