Friday, August 12, 2011

What I know now that I just sort of knew then...part 4

this picture is called "Blue Moon"...you know like
every once in a blue moon? 
I heard a long time ago that when you write down your goals/dreams it is more likely that they come true.  I immediately started writing down the things that I was dreaming of and refining them, adding all the details I could think of, so that I was clear on my goals (note that I use the words dreams and goals interchangeably). 

When I was diagnosed as suffering with cancer it through me for a loop.  I always, even from day one, had a strong feeling that I would beat this issue but there were some dark days.  I have never faced such a massive opponent.  Initially, I was struggling to walk, trying to work, and concerned with co-parenting my six month old baby.  As soon as I was able to make some progress, and regain some strength, I began to dream again.
What I know now that I just sort of knew then was that dreams give you a direction and a reason to live. They speak to the quality of what you want your life to be and they create a road map to your sucess.  When times get tough, dreams are promises you have made to yourself, that you have things to do, and it helps you fight.  A clearly defined purpose and some evidence of your passion can give your mind something positive to dwell on.  Nights that are long, and spent in sickness and pain, call for some sort of relief and I have found that shifting to a dreaming and planning mode is really helpful to me. 

It is what I was experiencing last year when I felt that I had to remodel my kitchen.  I needed to accomplish something positive.  I felt an intense burning desire to create something.  I was trying to turn some creative juice into something tangible (of course, what I know now about remodeling is that it can test even the strongest marriage...so please take some caution on that).  I just needed to do it.

I know now, even more than I knew back then, that you must never stop dreaming.  If you stop me on the street and ask me what my dreams are, you will get a long, long list.  It is why I think a bucket list is vital.  It is important to have things to look forward to, work toward, and to give you the satisfaction of accomplishment.

Susan

No comments: