Monday, August 22, 2011

Gaining 30 seconds a day

It would seem that I am back on the mend.  My spirits have improved.  My pain level is down.  My energy is recovering at a snail's pace, gaining 30 seconds a day of use able energy stores.

I was asked whether or not I tend to like company and what seems to help me.  I like company but I do not have much energy to talk or visit for long periods of time.  When I am really wiped out a short email note, a quick hello on facebook or funny pictures and jokes tend to do a lot to improve my mood without taxing my strength.  It is hard to admit that, because I would much love to visit with my friends, some of them I am missing right now, very much.

As you probably know, anonymous, time saving gifts are the best uplift.  I needed gas in my car and it bothered me all week, but I felt better today when I finally had the energy to get some.  I am sure that my husband or parents would have filled my tank for me, if asked, but honestly who has the energy to ask (sounds whiny...I know). 

I have gotten into the habit of keeping hard candy in my office and it is amusing to me how much everyone seems to enjoy the little treat.  I ran out of the "good" candy and just had the yucky ones left.  I commiserated this fact with one of my clients, as they picked through what was left, and they offered to pick me up a huge bag at Costco (way too big for my energy level to manage) and then they did!!  Huge relief to me, that they gave me this gift of shopping, and now everyone is happy as they walk away, sucking on a peppermint or butterscotch treat. 

Last year, I tried the Helping Hands website, to manage all the offers I was getting to prepare meals for my family or do some shopping.  Unfortunately, many of the people who offered to prepare a meal or help out, bailed at the last minute and it became too frustrating.  There are a lot of people in this world who over-promise and under-deliver.  It is hard to take when you are counting on them and hoping to see them.  Those of you who read this blog will be shocked to read that, you being the choir and all, but it happened more than I care to admit.  If you have someone in your life, who is dealing with an energy crisis or illness, be sure that you are mindful of this.

All in all, I have been treated well.  I am spoiled completely rotten by my friend anonymous and by my parents who help out in countless ways.  All of my needs are satisfied.  I would like to have visitors but then it is nice to get out of my surroundings and have a visit.  I guess that the only advice that I can offer is to contact your loved one, ask what they need, be insistent and persistent and then...actually deliver. 

Susan

1 comment:

Pamela M. Steiner said...

I so appreciate this blog and the previous one written. I wish I was closer to you and could do some of those things you mentioned. I can pray that God will raise up friends/care-warriors who will be there for you when you truly need them most. I know from my son's cancer issues over the past year and a half that he has appreciated most the people who did show up, did special things like actually take him to his chemo treatments and stay with him for the day so his wife could work. The neighbor who brought food, and also who did some much needed repairs on Matt's workshop before winter set in and did more damage. The other neighbor who picked up Noah from school and brought him to their house when Matt was still at chemo...little things and big things, but definitely helpful things. We live too far away from them to be of any help there either, so all I can do is pray that God will send His ambassadors and helpers to stand in the gap. I will covenant to do this for you as well...praying brings results. I know God is in control. God bless you today, dear friend, with strength and 30 seconds more energy today than yesterday...one day at a time. Amen.