Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Let's celebrate each other

Some Quotes on Family

The family. We were a strange little band of characters trudging through life sharing diseases and toothpaste, coveting one another's desserts, hiding shampoo, borrowing money, locking each other out of our rooms, inflicting pain and kissing to heal it in the same instant, loving, laughing, defending, and trying to figure out the common thread that bound us all together. ~Erma Bombeck

When you look at your life, the greatest happinesses are family happinesses. ~Joyce Brothers

The happiest moments of my life have been the few which I have passed at home in the bosom of my family. ~Thomas Jefferson

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I spent time today with several different kinds of people and I enjoyed each of them.  As I ponder each day, and each client, I am struck by the realization that I almost never meet anyone whom I do not like.  I easily find wonderful things about each and everyone I meet. 

I love the quirks, the eccentricities and I love the naughtiness, especially among the young ones.  I immensely enjoy the characters, the phrases that they use and the unique way they bunch up their faces when they talk.  I like asking them questions and hearing what they say.  I like shouldering problems with them and pushing hard against them.  There is a such a beauty in being human.  The most beautiful part is the human spirit rising up and preparing for obstacles.

The other side of the coin holds story, after story of neglect, pain, torment, and cruelty.  Where was the kind smile, the hug, the compassion, the generosity.  Where did it go?  Why wasn't it there.  It is hard to figure out how someone could choose to mistreat a family member when love is a more attractive offer.  I listen to these stories and I just feel confused.  I believe that we get to choose who we are.  If we don't like who we were yesterday we can choose right now to be different.

I know that I have often written about random acts of kindness on this blog.  It is because of the stories that I hear, all too often, of receiving a cold shoulder rather than a warm embrace.  I hope that you will allow me to remind you again, to be generous with our time, love and smiles. 

Susan

No comments: