Saturday, February 26, 2011

Day O Nothing

I had an old familiar feeling today.  A feeling I have not had since the days when I worked ridiculous hours.  I used to work 50 to 60 hours a week and usually worked six days.  When Saturday afternoon would hit and it was quitting time I would smile and remark that it was "Day O Nothing" time. 

Actually, it was a day and a half, but it sounds better the other way.  It was my time to do as I pleased, which was usually nothing, and that was just fine with me.  Nowadays, I have my son and my husband to do things with, and these days that suits me just fine.  My work weeks are much shorter now, which feels nice, because I have the best of both worlds.  Soul satisfying work and plenty of time with my son.

I guess it just feels extra nice when you have a stretch of time that is just yours and you can do with it what you please.  I have been feeling better lately, which is no doubt what brought about this Day O Nothing memory and the smile on my face today.  It is a little phrase which reminds me to have a mini celebration each week.  I am glad that I remembered it. Since my cancer diagnosis I have appreciated any opportunity to celebrate good things in my life.  I hope that as you read this post you are enjoying a "Nothing" time of your own.  Cheers!

Susan

1 comment:

Kate said...

Nothing days really are the best, and I am so glad you are enjoying some of those now and then. It always seems like we can't stop for a minute because something will not get done. Thanks for the reminder that we all need to just relax now and then and enjoy the beauty that is all around us, in our homes, in our families, and our friends...in our own backyards, so to speak. Glad you are enjoying your days more, and hoping your next Day O Nothing comes soon! :-)