Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Radiation Therapy

Today I went to Rocky Mountain Cancer Center for my monthly Zomeda treatment.  I have been receiving this treatment monthly to help build bone density which is very necessary since the cancer weakened my bones and caused a compression fracture.  Incidentally, I lost an inch and a half off my height. 

While I was at Rocky Mountain I asked my Doctor if we should consider radiation to the rib that showed some activity on the PET scan.  I did receive some radiation to my right hip as I was having some difficulty walking and pain.  Radiation therapy is a breeze as it takes only a few minutes and is virtually painless.  There can be some side effects but I did not experience any that were bothersome. 

My Doctor did not feel that radiation would be a good idea right now unless I was having pain.  I have had some occasional cramping in this area but no real pain.  I do not see my Doctor again for a month which will give us time to see if the hormone therapy is working.  I will address the question of radiation therapy again with her at this time and take labs.  I am very hopeful that this treatment will work as my hair is beginning to grow back and having hair again will be nice.  I lost all of my hair on this last round of chemotherapy and it is just now starting to come back in.  The hair on my legs has NOT yet started to grow back and I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will not.  I have heard from other cancer survivors who have been on chemotherapy that they got so lucky.  That would be a nice silver lining.

For the record, I do not count the free tattoos that came with the radiation treatment as a silver lining.  ;)

Susan

No comments: