Saturday, February 12, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day

Dear Huy,

I love you.  I looked a long time to find you.  I guess I was looking in all the wrong places or I needed to wait on God's timing.  I want to take this opportunity to tell you how glad I am that I finally found you.  I spent a lot of time thinking that I needed to be perfect before someone would love me.  I spent years trying to lose weight and somehow only managed to gain it.  I didn't think anyone would love me unless I was thin. I underestimated how you would be able to love me because of my heart and not because of my appearance.

When we began to date and eventually fell in love I could see this love in your eyes.  Even then as I was overjoyed to see the love from your heart reflected in your eyes I still could not begin to grasp the depth of that love.  These days when I have grown too warm from a hot flash or the temperature to have my head covered and you look at me with my bald head I can still see the same love in your eyes.  I cry tears of gratitude and I am filled with love for you and joy. I feel like a lucky, lucky woman to have the honor of being your wife.

I know that I get after you about some things.  I have high expectations and at times I can be quite demanding.  I do not let you off the hook but you are a strong man who is able to admit when you are wrong and to hold your own.  I find that to be a very admirable trait.  I love your sense of humor.  I love that you are independent and allow me to be independent.  We each have our own space, our own past times and when we come together as a couple it is very meaningful.  It was the kind of marriage I would dream about when I was single and lonely and afraid that I wouldn't find someone to call my own.  
This is me trying to figure
 out sleeping with a nursing
schedule, a husband who
needed to sleep and trying to
read the baby books to ensure I
knew what I needed to know.

Speaking of dreams, I want you to know Huy, that you have made so many of my dreams come true.  I wanted to be married to a man that loves me.  I wanted a child and to parent that child with a husband.  You have made these dreams come true and so many more.  It means so much to me that you allowed Tan to be born at home.  I could feel in the depths of my being that I wanted a home birth for my son.  You were afraid and felt it would be safer for us in the hospital.  As long as I live, I will remember how great you were the night he was born.  You took such great care of me and followed the plan for Tan that we made with the doula.  Thank you for giving in and letting me have the birth experience that I wanted.  Since I cannot have another child naturally it means so much more to me.

I continue to have dreams and you continue to give in and help me make them come true.  I have not made it easy on you.  My dreams are sometimes bigger than your comfort zone and nearly always bigger than what you can fathom.  I am sorry that this process has not been comfortable for you.  I do not intend to stop dreaming and I know that because you love me you do not want me to.  I love my kitchen.  I love the way that our home is shaping up.  I feel more and more that it is our home.  I am proud of how beautiful, safe and cozy it feels.  I am happy to live here with you.

I am aware that you need us to concentrate on getting the loan paid off for our project.  I commit to that.  I would like to have a nice dinner with you this week and talk about working on a dream that you might have.  I think that this would be a nice way to celebrate Valentine's Day.  I know that you don't do things the way other people do.  It may not be your first impulse buy big gifts on February 14 but you make sure that we have food to eat every day and many times when I come home from work you are cooking dinner.  I love the easy relationship that you and I have together.  I love that we go to bed laughing and talking nearly every night.  Our son loves you and loves to hold and cuddle with you. It fills my heart to see you and him together.

Anyway, I wanted to let you know that I love you very much.  Happy Valentine's Day!

Susan

Huy's Gift



No comments: