Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Sweetest Music

Today when I came home from work I opened the door to our condo and was greeted by my son who cried out "Mama".  I haven't heard him say this in so long..not since he was a small baby as these were his first words.  My heart skipped a beat.  He was in bed with his father but clearly was not sleeping yet.  He scrambled down from the bed and cried out "Mama" a second time.

Tan and his nap time pal
 I put him back in bed with his father and climbed in with them.  He smiled contentedly and enjoyed a cuddle with both of us.  In the time before I got my compression fracture he was well on his way to being an independent sleeper and then I got hurt.  You might recall that the cancer weakened my bones causing the compression fracture which led to the discovery of the cancer.

Now, a year and a half later, we have not yet re-trained the little guy to go to bed by himself.  It wasn't how we planned things but sometimes life deals you a blow you didn't expect and best laid plans are altered.  He is getting bigger and busier by the day.  We hear new words from him daily but I have to tell you that it will be some time before I hear him say sweeter words than the ones I heard him say today.  I am probably biased.

Huy is Tan's favorite nap time pal.  I get a kick out the fact that when he puts the baby down for a nap he is usually the first one to fall asleep.  The baby takes much more time tossing and turning before he settles in.  Aren't they sweet?

No comments: