Sunday, February 6, 2011

A good laugh feels good

Yesterday, we drove to my in-laws home in Thornton, Colorado to celebrate Chinese New Year which is apparently big even among Vietnamese families.  We were a little concerned about making the trip as the weather called for snow but it had been awhile since we had been there as a family.  We made a decision to turn back or leave early at the first sign of snow and made the trip.

If you have never had fresh roll your own spring rolls in a Vietnamese restaurant you should plan a trip at your earliest convenience as they are delicious.  We grilled up shrimp, fish and thinly sliced beef at the table on a griddle and wrapped them in rice paper wrappers with rice noodles, romaine lettuce, cilantro, pineapple, cucumber and pickled jicama and carrots.  I ate mine with fish sauce but my family members ate theirs with shrimp sauce.  My son Tan just gobbled up the rice noodles and helped himself to the sesame candy tray.

We had only begun to enjoy ourselves when it began snowing heavily.  We made a quick exit but the ride home was slow going.  I noticed on this trip that heavy interstate traffic was quite nearly unbearable for me.  I have never suffered from anxiety previously but this time I was very uncomfortable.  On the way home, I sat with the baby so that he could watch a video on my lap top and have an easier time as he grows restless.  He had napped on the way to Thornton so I knew that we wouldn't have as much luck the return trip.  After my lap top batteries gave way we snacked on apples and sang songs.

Though the traffic was bad we had a fairly enjoyable ride home.  At one point, the baby broke out into hysterical giggles which soon broke into full blown laughter.  I have no idea what he was laughing about but I began to laugh also.  When I stopped laughing I would look over at my son and he would get started again.  This brought us some quizzical looks from Huy in the rear view mirror but I was unable to explain what we were laughing about.  I still do not know but I can tell you it felt good.  It helped break the tension for me during the uncomfortable drive and we shared a nice family moment.

If it has been awhile since you have had a good laugh then my question to you is..what are you waiting for?  It might be a good idea to look up the post I wrote on Being Silly (9-10) and re-read it. In it I include a video of the baby laughing with me which might help you get started.  I hope you laugh til your sides hurt.  It is a good stress reliever.

Susan

No comments: