Monday, April 4, 2011

Sand to Snow


Nancy P writes.."Look there is Hope" regarding her photo
It truly is remarkable that one may touch the sand in Mexico in the morning and then later on that same day, courtesy of air travel, put my feet on the ground in Colorado. Even more mind boggling to be barefoot in the white sand in the morning and then to think how Roxanne must have felt looking at a foot of newly fallen snow when she arrived home in Maine that evening. Yesterday, I was surprised to look out my window and see the large snowflakes of a spring snowstorm.  What a contrast!

Life is full of remarkable contrast if you would only take the time to look for it.  Amazing, mind boggling, heart inspiring contrast that I think is wonderfully depicted in this flower picture. Life is beautiful and strong willed and absolutely intent on surviving.  It pushes through obstacles, grows atop of them and seems to "figure it out" endlessly in nature.  This snow and this flower are close to my heart, but not in the way that you might think.  I love these pictures as I find them inspirational and because I used to live in the house where these pictures were taken.
 
Cluster of Trees planted by
my family in memoriam
This beautiful clump of birch trees adorn the front of an old home in China, Maine.  I lived there and we planted them together as a family and whenever we can, we drive by to see how well the trees look and to catch a sight of the home.  Planting this tree was a way to take pain and transform it into something beautiful.

The home was sold but the memories remain and we cherish that clump of trees.  I live away in another state and yet to see these pictures posted  on the facebook page of a friend touches me and brings to my mind these contrasts both in the pictures and in my life.  I find that contrast is an ever present part of life.  Health and youth contrasted by sickness and the threat of death.  Connection with old and dear friends while other friends newer and more local grow distant.

Important things coming to a close and other things exciting and promising about to commence.

That is the richness of life because you cannot often have one thing without the other.  Music would not be music if not for the silences, it would then only be noise.  Spring is here, but would we find it so beautiful without the experience of winter?

Life is precious.  It tastes sweeter to me now.  I have achieved many small victories on this portion of my journey and I will be forever grateful that God has brought me to this point, but to be clear, cancer provided the necessary contrast which enables me to feel how blessed I truly am.  I am touched by things that I never noticed before and I feel a deep sense of gratitude.

Susan

No comments: