Monday, April 11, 2011

Daffodil Days

Last year around this time I was finishing up my first round of chemotherapy and one of those days was brightened considerably by Daffodil days.  If you have not heard of this you should check it out.  Apparently it is a time honored tradition by the American Cancer Society and is heralded as their flagship event.

As part of a fund raising event in spring Daffodil's are given to contributors who in turn give them to those affected by cancer as a symbol of hope.  I was quite surprised to receive a little bundle of closed Daffodil's from Rocky Mountain Cancer and from an anonymous donor which I took home and put in water.  The next day they opened and were quite beautiful both for their sunny yellow charm and for their message of hope.

If you would like to participate in this event please note that they take orders in January, February and early March and then deliver them late March.  Daffodils are typically one of the first flowers of spring which is why they are chosen to represent hope.  The proceeds go toward research in the hopes of a future without cancer.
I never knew this about Daffodils and what they symbolize until last year.  For me, Daffodils always reminded me of my mother and when I see them in spring I think of her. 

Susan

No comments: