Monday, April 18, 2011

Happy Birthday Boo Boo Bunny

My son will be two years old on April 20 and I am so shocked by this.  I feel more than a bit saddened by how quickly the time has passed because I was sick for much of it.  I remember thinking that the pain in my back was simply a result of the baby getting bigger and my being out of shape.  That was in late September and I was diagnosed with Stage 4 Breast Cancer a few weeks later.

In the short 24 months of his life I have spent 10 of those months on chemotherapy.  Six months of his life I was unable to lift him up because the cancer caused a compression fracture in my back.  I do not even know how many months I have been hardly able to walk.  I do know that at least 12 of his 24 months I have been worthless due to fatigue after 6 pm at night.  From the very day that I came home from the hospital following my cancer diagnosis I have only spent a handful of nights sleeping next to him.

If I wanted to, I could sink into a pool of self pity or burn with ferocious anger over the enormous price I have paid on cancer's behalf.  Instead, I am going to make a conscious choice to have an attitude of praise that I can be here to celebrate this momentous occasion of his second birthday.  I have had many an opportunity to cuddle with him and watch videos or movies on the very laptop I am using to write this blog post.  A very thoughtful gift to me from my doting mother who wished she could be here in person to entertain us instead.

From a very early age he has been a very exuberant child and a major jokster.  He loves to laugh and be silly.  He also loves to cuddle and is finally getting generous about handing out some sweet kisses with a smack on the end.  He is a big fan of Toy Story movies and he loves to be outside.  Every night when he gets to my Dad's house he has to go on a walk about.  He likes to check out the car and the mailbox and climb the hill by the pool.

Happy Birthday My Sweet Bunny

Susan

1 comment:

Kate said...

Happy Birthday to Boo, and Happy Boo's Birthday to you :-)