Friday, April 15, 2011

A Prayer of Serenity for Shelly

In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out.  It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being.  We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.  ~Albert Schweitzer

If a friend is in trouble, don't annoy him by asking if there is anything you can do.  Think up something appropriate and do it.  ~Edgar Watson Howe

The most beautiful discovery true friends make is that they can grow separately without growing apart.  ~Elisabeth Foley

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have been thinking about making an effort to connect and re-connect the friends and the very sculptors of who I am.  Friendship is an investment that you make in assisting a person on their pursuit of who they are.

I found myself lucky enough to spend a delightful evening with a good friend.  Our paths do not cross very often but I am glad for the time when they do.  She is a breath of fresh air.  She is animated.  She is witty.  I love her creativity and her view on things.  I am so drawn to her and have been since I first saw her.  For me, it falls nothing short of hero worship and I feel silly about it.  I want a Shelly superhero doll for my dresser.

I have had the opportunity to be there for her at times and she has returned the favor.  Tonight she was in the Springs and I was able to pick her up and spend time with her.  When I arrived, she was aghast that I am having an issue with cancer.  She does not tune in to Facebook as frequently as others and had missed the postings.  She had so many questions for me but I wanted to hear about her.

My dear Shelly is in pain and we talked openly about it.  She cried openly.  I could see that her blazing light from before has dimmed a little.  Her countenance was not as brilliant as it usually is.  Life has given her a serious of strategic blows from those close to her.  I grew concerned for her and then I learned that new light bulbs are being suggested to her and she is in the process of transitioning to her next big thing.

Shelly, you are an amazing woman and I know that you will find triumph over this situation but it will have to come to you and through you. I do not think it was a coincidence that we spoke of leaders and followers.  I think it is your turn to be led.  I think you will have a miracle and that God will show himself to you in a very powerful way.  I believe that you will first need to get out of the way.  Allow.  Adjust.  Be open.

I liked hearing about this chapter of transition.  I cannot wait to read the next.  You will keep me posted ...won't you?

Your Buddy, Susan

1 comment:

Kate said...

“They might not need me; but they might. I'll let my head be just in sight; a smile as small as mine might be precisely their necessity.”

-Emily Dickinson