Thursday, April 21, 2011

Can I Get A Whoop Whoop?

When a person has cancer good news can get a little thin.  Especially when we are talking good news that pertains to health.  Last month I was quite thrilled to find that my tumor markers were down to 241 (remember that below 36 is normal).  Today I was even more thrilled to learn that they have gone down even further to 196.

It is important to note here that tumor markers are not to be used to determine if you have cancer as it is not considered reliable. Also rather than alter the course of treatment based on one reading, it is preferable to take a series of readings in an effort to note if the numbers are increasing or decreasing.  They may refer to this as a "serial measurement" and the overall trend will give your Doctor a better idea of what is happening with your illness.

Following chemotherapy I began to take the oral anti-estrogen Aromasin.  I am now taking the generic form of that called Exemestane.  I did not hold much hope that this oral form of medication would help as I have been a couple of different anti-estrogen pills and my tumor markers rose to the point that I needed chemotherapy.  In addition to Exemestane I also take a sleep medication and Gabapentin to help control the symptoms of menopause like the bad headaches that were disturbing my sleep.

One of my very generous clients sells Juice Plus Brand Vitamins and gave me a supply because she was convinced that this would help me.  She claimed that it would do wonders for my health and assist me in combating fatigue.  I was rather skeptical but I can honestly say that I feel quite wonderful and noticeably better when I take the vitamins then when I do not.  I know that there are a lot of products out there and a lot of people pushing them.  I think that this is worth looking into so check them out.  If you are interested then shoot me an email and I will give you my client's website. 

I am still whoop whooping about my tumor markers reaching a new low.  You might be able to hear me from where you are.

Susan

1 comment:

Mom said...

Whoop Whoop