Sunday, April 10, 2011

An Adventure With Dad

I received several calls from my father wanting to get together since it was my birthday this past Friday.  We thought it would be nice to have lunch or dinner together.  I had to work a lot of appointments Thursday and Friday but I suggested that we have an adventure on Saturday.  I had a specific one in mind.  Dad is the sort of person that is always up for an adventure and he can make it a lot of fun.

One day I was poking around facebook and saw an advertisement for tiny houses and since I love tumbleweed houses by Jay Shaffer, I checked it out.  Someone was selling a very nice tumbleweed house for $12,000 on http://www.tinyhouselistings.com/. It was quite pretty and exactly what I imagine I might like.  I began thinking that it might be fun to have a nice little cabin to visit as a weekend get away place. (Not to say that I have any money these days to invest in cabins and real estate but I figured it doesn't hurt to check things out)
cactus

The more I thought about it, the more I poked around and came across a few small lots for sale at a very small price around one thousand dollars each.  I knew it was a nice drive and since it was located near Florissant, Colorado it seemed like a good location because there is a lot to do in that area.  Anyhow, it was the perfect scenario for an adventure so off we went.  Dad really enjoyed the sights, especially since he loved all things cowboy as a kid and along the way he kept singing cowboy songs. We met up with the man who was selling the lots and we joined him in his vehicle and he drove us to them.

The view was quite stunning and the area had some nice history.  He had a news article written in the year 1896 describing this development which boasted a great many things that were not true but added to the intrigue.  Unfortunately, I would need a 4 wheel drive vehicle if I decided to buy a lot because my car would not make it in without a bit of risk.  That was strike one.  Strike two and three came as I learned that no electricity would be available now or probably ever and neither would water without drilling my own well.  These lots are owned by folks who really enjoy roughing it and truly like to camp.  I am more of an RV kind of a girl because I like refrigeration and running water as well as real bathroom facilities.

Still, the idea of a little piece of land to play on with the baby had its appeal especially if we could find one that offered a lot of trees.  Along the drive we saw newly born calves being licked by their mothers, horses and even deer.  The mountain views were spectacular and there were even some streams and nice looking ponds.  We imagined picnicking on the tables with my son and letting him experience the country.  That is ranch country and we mused about what names we would pick out if we ever got so lucky.  I think we agreed on the Triple B Ranch because we call my son the Boo Boo Bunny. 

All in all, it will no doubt be a long time before I am in a financial position to make this particular dream a reality but I can tell you it sure made for a nice adventure.  I think when you have a dream you should take some real life action steps toward pursuing it and see what is out there.  Window shopping is an important aspect of dream planning. 

Happy Adventuring Folks!!

Susan

No comments: