Monday, March 7, 2011

Putting Your Bucket List Together

If you don't have a bucket list I would highly recommend that you begin creating one.  A bucket list is generally defined as a list of one hundred things that you would really like to do before you die ( or "kick the bucket" hence the name).  It includes places you would like to visit, things you would like to do and goals you plan to accomplish.
I like to think of it as a road map for your life.  It is hard to decide on a route when you have no destination in mind.  When I attended Pathways Life Management seminar in Dallas, Texas we put a Life Plan together.  It was made up of Personal, Professional and Spiritual Goals and action steps to take in each category.  The idea was that breaking big goals down into little action steps would make it easier to make forward progress and then ensure your success. We were encouraged to review this plan each week and modify or add goals as we attained success.

My bucket lists contains big goals but also things that I would really enjoy doing.  Like scuba diving, for instance, it is something I have always wanted to learn and that would be a cool experience.  Now, I confess, that I too have never actually formed an official list.  My brother gave me a book that is a collection of lists that you fill out and I have jotted down many of the things I have wanted to do.  The book is called "More List Your Self" by Ilene Segalove and Paul Bob Velick.

I think a nice bucket list should include big things, fun things, travel things, and things that will stretch your comfort zone just a tad.  I think your list should be representative of you and your tastes and not a carbon copy of someone else's list.  Singing karaoke would stretch my comfort zone, to be sure, but I would not reap enjoyment out of the experience nor would bungee jumping.  Heck, I don't even enjoy roller coasters.

As I began polling people I know for asking about their bucket lists it seems that no one has actually written down their list and could only quote five or six items that they were clear on.  I would like to encourage everyone to take a few minutes and begin compiling 100 written down items.  I personally was hoping that this book by brother gave me would include mine but sadly there was no "bucket list" among the lists as they ask much more specific questions meant to assist you in personal discovery.

So it seems that I will be writing my list, actually writing my list, as I have requested, inspired and perhaps even guilted many of you to do the same.  How else can we set about the task of checking off 100 items or squeezing all the juice out of life if we are not clear on what we want to accomplish?  To those of you who have promised to send me their list I truly hope you do as I begin the task of etching out my list.  I am letting you know now that I will probably cheat off your paper.  Just kidding.

Number 1.  XXXX
Number 2.  XXXX XXXXXX

Cheers!

Susan

5 comments:

Jo said...

My list --
--Participate in a village sing-in in Wales
--Publish a book on faith in the face of abuse
--Start a parish nurse program at my church
--Meet Eric Clapton and Pete Seeger
--Have my home and its contents really straight and clean
--Write my own obit (control issues!)
-- Hear one more live performance of Mahler's Second Symphony
-- Have a peaceful, forgiving heart
-- Visit the Canadian Maritimes
--Really get it that my children are just fine
-- Be ready to let go, with joy

Susan said...

Jo
that is a nice looking list. Have you started your book?

You will need to keep us posted on your progress.

I am also looking for some guest blog writers and people to interview who have survived stage 4 cancer diagnosis. Please help pass the word. Please consider being my guest and writing an article.

Susan

Jo said...

Have a good friend who is more than 20 years out from a stage 4 diagnosis, but she's in China right now where internet stuff is very restrictive. I'll see if she can get to your blog.

I would love to write something on the "together" aspect of such journeys. I'll get back to you on that!

Susan said...

Jo

that would be great. I would also be willing to send her a snail mail letter. My real email is suzi890801@msn.com. Let me know if you need my mailing address.

Susan

Annette Renee White said...

I have had a bucket list for over 10 years and it helps me to step out of the box everyday! Mine is over 200 goals long (& counting). You can see it here: http://mslistologist.com/?page_id=381

Feel free to steal anything you want! Best wishes on your journey!