Friday, March 11, 2011

Focus....on cancer....or.....Cancun?

Cancer is a scary word.  It strikes fear in the heart of the person who has just heard that diagnosis and then reverberates through the family.  It made me sad especially when I had to curtail some of my activities.  I wanted to be a successful and independent child for my parents.  I wanted my life filled with joy.  I wanted to open happy mail and not invoices for co pays and procedure costs.

Surviving Cancer is a full time job.  Your well meaning friends are concerned about what you eat and how often you exercise and how much medication the doctor prescribes.  My clients worry about getting me sick and are hesitant to come and see me if they have the sniffles. 

There are decisions that have to be made.  Organic or affordable.  Holistic or Traditional.  Radiation or Chemotherapy.  There is paperwork to read through so that you may be educated about your symptoms.  There are appointments to be made and kept.  With that comes with questions you must remember to ask.

In addition to all of this there is a son to raise.  A husband to love and partner with.  I have a family that need to spend time with me.  They are scared and feeling helpless and I need to reassure them that I feel supported by them.  Many of my family members live far away and cannot be here to cook for me or get a blanket for me when I am cold. My husband and I share a household that needs to be managed.  I have a business to run so that my student loans and bills can be paid.  I have to participate in my life all the while I am trying to save it.                      

I have been given an incredible gift.  The opportunity to trade the text I have written here for the photos that I have included.  I hope while trying to decipher the text you have been distracted by the pictures.  I am going to Cancun very soon.  I will leave this chaotic life for a week and have a chance to breath and reflect. 

I am going to leave cancer in Colorado and visit a tropical paradise because there were so many generous people who donated money to help get me there. I cannot track you down and be as generous to you as you have to me.  So many of you I do not know.  I will have to pay it forward.  I have a chance to recharge my batteries and then I can figure out ways to pass it on.  Feel free to send me ideas.

Thank you.  From the bottom of my heart I want you to know that this generous gift of yours comes at a time when I really needed a chance to get away and reconnect with the fighter inside.  I am tired and I need to refresh myself.  Thank you for allowing me to have this time with Roxanne.  Thank you for knowing that sometimes the best medicine is a chance to leave your circumstance and gain some perspective.  I will be better for this trip, so again I humbly thank you for what you have given.  I will be smiling and relaxing and with Roxanne's company I know that I will be laughing.

Susan

No comments: