Sunday, March 13, 2011

My Number One Dad

I hate to write a blog post in which I am bragging about how good I have it, but when it comes to my Dad, I guess I will need to make an exception.  When I needed my Dad, he came running and he has not left my side.  He takes care of my son overnights to ensure that I get good sleep and accompanies me to all of my doctors appointments, even if it means he has to sit in the waiting room.  Having so much support from him, the rest of my family and my many friends has made all the difference in my health.

My father's birthday is today and Mom came for a visit to help celebrate.  In true family tradition she made him his favorite homemade German Chocolate cake.  ( In our 5 piece family unit we were allowed to pick what ever kind of birthday cake we wanted...store bought or home made.  I always liked the store bought white cakes with white frosting and pretty frosting flowers.  These days I opt for cupcakes but that is a blog post for another day.) Over the years she has perfected the German Chocolate cake, as only the lucky few can attest, and I have to say that today it was pretty yummy.

My Dad is a kind hearted man whose greatest joy is his family.  He has told me that he had always wanted to be a Dad and very much enjoyed his children and still does.  When he receives a call from my brother or sister he cannot wait to share with me the good news.  Nowadays, he has fallen head over heels in love with my son and together they have great adventures.  It really does my heart good to see the two of them chuckling over a the TV program Shaun the Sheep or playing cars on the floor.

My son will be two years old next month.  Cancer has changed a lot about the way I have been able to parent my son.  Thanks to my Dad, my son has had lots of laughs, cuddles, and good times.  Between my husband and my Dad, my son has not suffered or been neglected in the least.  He has two homes, two sets of toys and two different partners in crime.  He has an adventure with my husband by day and then paints the town red with my Dad by night.

I could go on and on about my Dad but I will spare you an exceptionally long blog post.  I will just end this one by saying, Happy Birthday Dad!  You are my hero. 

Susan

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I concur that you do have an exceptional Dad! It's great to look down the street and see he and Tan hand in hand taking a stroll to the mailbox, or Tan riding piggyback on your Dad's shoulders surveying the world from aloft. It's been a real pleasure getting to know him and your Mom.

Kate said...

This is just awesome. The gift of this man is more than most people could ever ask or in a lifetime. You are blessed indeed!