Tuesday, August 24, 2010

I've been thinking about the Shumammite Woman (2 Kings 4)

She should be called the Shunammite Mother because her story is all wrapped up in her son.  Her son was a miracle along the lines of Sarah and Abraham's.  A gift late in life when she had given up and now her son was dead.  She has a curious response that I've been thinking about.  First of all, she hides him away in Elisha's room (a little rooftop space she had created for him so he could rest there).  Then she asks (informs) her husband that she needs to pop over to Mount Carmel (15 miles) to pay a visit to the prophet.   Evidently, she has told no one including her husband that the boy is dead.  And, when her husband asks why she needs to make this sudden trip, she responds "shalom" - translated "all is well".  She gives this same reply to Elisha's servant when she is asked "how are you, how is your husband, how is your child?".   SHALOM.  ALL IS WELL.   The end of the account tells us that Elisha worked yet another miracle in this woman's life and the child was restored to life.  But it is her answer that has me thinking.  I wonder if her refusal to acknowledge her son's death, gave that death no room to ever be a fact.  I wonder if my answer to people who ask about Susan (and my answer to me) should be "all is well."  All is well because we trust God.  All is well because He is soverign and in charge.  All is well because all is well.  Maybe, just maybe, I shouldn't give that cancer credit for anything.  I shouldn't give it any room or any power or any strong hold.  All is well.  It really is.  Becky

No comments: