Monday, August 2, 2010

Important Info Regarding Cancer and your Teeth

I visited my new dentist in Colorado Springs to have some cavities filled.  The dentist was a very nice young man who gave me some important information that I wished I had prior to starting chemotherapy.  If you are in the Springs I recommend you give All Smiles Dental Group - www.allsmilesdentalgroup.com - located at

3715 Bloomington Street #160, Colorado Springs - (719) 599-0665 a try.

Here is the info:  apparently chemotherapy dries up your mouth which leads to increased risk of cavities and gum recession.  It is therefore, important to keep your mouth moist as much as you can.  Your dentist can fit you for trays so that you can do fluoride treatments at home.  He recommends this daily.  It will kill off the germs in your mouth and help you stay ahead of the game or atooth as it were.  If you refuse to go to that kind of trouble or expense then he recommends buying ACT fluoride mouthwash and using it 3-4 times daily.  Yes I said 3-4 times each day.  Finally he recommended to me that I buy the Sonicare electric toothbrush because it has a kill switch and will not allow you to use too much pressure.  This is needed to assist in being gentle enough to not cause gum recession.

Get your teeth cleaned before you start chemotherapy.  Chemotherapy works to kill all rapidly dividing cells in your body.  This includes your cancer, immune system, cells in the mouth and esophagus and stomach.  Do not have dental work done during that time as this could lead to a serious infection and worse.  Wait a couple of months after your treatment has stopped and just to be on the safe side ask them to do a very gentle cleaning.

Incidentally you are not supposed to have manicures or pedicures done either especially if on equipment used by a salon or that is regularly used on anyone besides yourself. 

Oh and while I am on a roll postpone all tattoo work until well after your immune system has recovered.

I know how important your appearance is to you so please seriously consider the above steps if you are newly on the journey.

Susan

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the kind words... we appreciate you allowing us to serve you at All Smiles Dental Group.

Anonymous said...

Great Information! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I thank you for sharing your info with us.