Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Latest Fad Or Frugality?

My mother and I are having a debate.  It's silly really.  I am trying to limp along with my Palm Pilot and she thinks I should get an Ipod.  When my friends read this they will laugh because they know that I tend to "hate change" when it comes to technology and I tend not to upgrade.

I have had my Palm Pilot for five years.  I use it to keep track of my appointments.  The entire debate began when I informed my Mom my Palm was not synching and I was in danger of losing all my information.  I am putting off investing in an Ipod and she suggested my Palm was obsolete and that I should join this century and let her buy it for me.  My Palm tx is beautiful.  It has a touch, full color screen and if it would only synch I would be golden.  Why do I need another gadget? 

Our debating back and forth reminds me of something my Doctor said to me, when I asked her about taking a trip, "take all your money and spend it on trips and things" she said.  Then she added, "tell your husband to save for retirement and you, you should spend all of yours now."  That would be a pretty handy justification for just about anything my heart desires but it does not sit well with me.

I am torn between living within my means, buying responsibly, and dabbling at being a minimalist.  I can tell you that I have never been good at any of those three things.  My father always used to laugh at me and say, "you have BMW taste on a Volkswagen budget."  I am not deprived by any stretch of the imagination.  I have a beautiful laptop, nice cell phone, and I enjoy restaurants frequently.

My parents would move heaven and earth to ensure my happiness.  Mom practically admitted that there is a chance I may not survive this illness and she wants to make sure I have the highest quality of life possible.  I took immediate offense and snorted that I was not going anywhere and an Ipod will not raise my quality of life.

I have been examining the life I have lived to this point.  I am looking for the lessons that this journey is teaching me.  Part of it comes from my work as a therapist and examining things in general and part of it comes from a desire to check these lessons off as finished and move on.  I see things I wished I had done differently. I recall decisions that were not very responsible and money I had that was ill spent.  Making mistakes and having regrets is part of life.  I challenge anyone to look back on their life without finding your own measure of this.

I have consulted my budget.  I can afford to invest in a new Ipod in June.  In earlier blogs we have joked about me being a blood sucking weasel.  This time around I plan to put off instant gratification, save my money and then delight in the purchase once I am able to afford it.  I think I will enjoy it all the more.  As I travel this journey I am keeping firm hold on my humor and my integrity.

By the way, after several tries and desperate prayers my Palm synched my calender with my work computer.  Hooray!!  I just bought more time.

Susan

2 comments:

Pamela M. Steiner said...

I don't have either one...I have a desktop computer. My husband has a refurbished laptop. I have an ordinary cell phone. I don't need anything else. I feel "over-connected" with this old world now as it is. What I really desire is real friends, real faces at my table and not in my computer, love and laughter with family and friends in person. Gadgets are nice, and I don't fault anyone for having them...but I just don't want them. I may have to write about this in my blog since this comment is too long already! Yes, save your $$ until you are ready to get whatever you feel you need at that time. Until then, just enjoy the real people and places surrounding you each day. That is what really matters.

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Do you mind if I re-write my comment in my own blog? It just stirred up something in me and I have to get it out...LOL!!