Sunday, September 18, 2011

Daily Bread

I just made, and we just gobbled down some incredibly good sandwiches.  Susan mentioned that we found some 'bratwurst rolls" at Target.  They are delicious, have good flavor and texture and are just the right size (we seem to have a fixation on bread).  Anyway, as I was creating these masterpiece sandwiches with really nice ham, Swiss, tomatoes, lettuce, thin green pepper and onion slices and some Italian dressing drizzled on top, I got to thinking about a personal account I read once.  Someone wrote that while their mother always baked or bought fresh loaves of bread, she always made them use up the old first.  The point was that they never had the enjoyment of fresh bread because they always had to eat the stale, old, and dry stuff first.  What a shame, I thought.  To have the fresh and tasty right there in front of you and have to bypass it in favor of the old. 

I wonder if we do this in our every-day lives?   I hope not.  I hope that we partake of the richness that God has prepared for us and placed in our reach every day.  His mercy is new every morning and he provides our bread portion daily, hot out of the oven, fragrant, nutritious, and perfectly enough for our need that day.  For me, I'm pushing past the old, stale and dry.  I want the good stuff.  Now, would you please pass the butter?

1 comment:

Pamela M. Steiner said...

That's right! Save the old to make meatloaf, or bread pudding...but enjoy the new fresh bread while it is still new fresh bread! I love the imagery of this little story...thanks, Becky!!