Friday, July 22, 2011

Oral Chemotherapy

If you are a faithful follower of this blog you have noted that the cancer has spread further into my bones as indicated by my recent PET/CT scan.  I also have my tumor markers tested through my lab work and they have been inching up.  My latest reading was 303 which is not bad as it was 376 after my last chemotherapy treatment this past January.

My Doctor promised that I would stay on the oral anti-estrogen Aromasin until it was no longer effective and the disease began to progress again.  I was able to get five months out of it, which my Doctor indicated was decent as many are able to get 5-8 months, but that it was now time to change things up.  As we looked at our options she decided on an oral chemotherapy, as opposed to IV chemotherapy, and prescribed me Xeloda.
It comes from a specialized pharmacy in Texas and what you see in the picture is what arrived by Fed Ex.  I have to admit I was a little impressed.  The soft mouse pad type material bag, Xeloda, pill organizer, colorful booklet of symptoms and medication information, a chemotherapy cookbook, and a lotion sample.  I am scheduled to take my first dose beginning next Monday following a bone marrow biopsy.  All medications come with a laundry list of side effects and chemotherapy drugs are no exception.  I do not know how I will tolerate this new chemotherapy, but I will keep you posted.

I continue to appreciate all the prayers and well wishes I am receiving from so many of you.  Monday will no doubt be a tough day for me so please remember me in prayer on that day. 

Susan

1 comment:

Pam said...

Dear Susan, Our son Matthew is also on an oral chemotherapy pill, actually 4 pills per day, and probably will be for the rest of his life unless it stops holding off the progression of the cancer. I don't know the name of his medication...but he has been doing that for about 6 or 7 months now and so far so good. He does have some side effects that are not nice, but not as bad as the side effects of the intravenous chemotherapy. So, he takes the good with the bad and prays for the best. We will be praying for you as you begin this new regimen. We pray that God will use this as an instrument of healing for you and that you will find rest and peace and strength for your soul and body. We pray this in Jesus' Name. Amen.