Saturday, July 16, 2011

Faith

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1

He replied, "Because you have so little faith. I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you."  Mathew 17:20

The dictionary defines faith as having a belief in someone or something that is not based on proof.  The Bible, as indicated above, concurs and promises that only the tiniest amount is sufficient.  I am holding firm on that promise because I have a great desire to beat the illness that is troubling me and to be here to see my son grow into adulthood.

You notice I didn't mention the "C" word by name because I try hard to put my faith into practice by refusing to state that I have "C".  I do not want to profess that or give it any foothold.  I prefer to state that I am having an issue with cancer or that I am troubled by it because in my mind and in my faith, I am waiting to be able to say that this is no longer the case.  I have faith that this will be the case, though I am praying that God's will be done.  I hate to sound tongue in cheek on such a serious subject but I figure I have a win/win proposition going. 

Living in Colorado Springs gives me the privilege of seeing the mountains on all but the most overcast of days.  I would hate to deprive anyone of waking up here and seeing their mountain gone but I am going to take the Bible at it's word that with enough faith I could make that happen.  Instead, I will focus on more personal pursuits and demonstrations of faith.  I get a pretty nice view of that mountain on my way to work.  It always reminds me of my favorite verses which are Psalm 121:1-2

A Song of Ascents. I will lift up my eyes to the mountains; From where shall my help come?  My help comes from the LORD, Who made heaven and earth.   Psalm 121:1-2

What are you believing in faith for today?

Susan

4 comments:

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Hold on to that faith, even if it is as small as a mustard seed...God is with you...and He will see you through this present trial. You are in my thoughts and prayers as you await the news of of your Pet scan. Our son Matt has been going through that same waiting period throughout the past year and a half...and God keeps carrying him over ever hurdle and helps him jump through each hoop. The same God is there with you. Hold on for the ride...He will see your through.

Susan said...

Thank you Pamela...I sure will. Today I had my very own "God wink" and it was cool. If you have never read the book...When God Winks at You: How God Speaks Directly to You Through the Power of Coincidence (Nelson Books)-(2006) by Squire Rushnell...then I highly recommend it. Today in church the priest spoke about faith like a mustard seed. I took that as a very direct ;) wink since I just wrote this blog last night. Thank you Lord for the little wink of encouragement. It made my heart sing. Susan

Jo said...

I was just thinking of you this morning when I heard the Gospel for the day, I remembered you were looking for a picture of a mustard seed!
Many translations read "if you have faith as a grain of mustard seed..." In a study, I learned that the main thing about mustard seeds was that they were like crazy growing weeds in those days. And they grew a BIG plant. Indestructable, you couldn't get rid of them. So in addition to faith arising from something so small, the parable reminds us that through faith, we are pretty darn tough. Like you!

Susan said...

Jo,

that is a nice word. I am thinking Im gonna have to break down and buy another piece of mustard seed jewelry. I like silver or white gold and do not really wear yellow gold anymore. Some of the pieces I found online were quite nice. When searching for pictures I found some great big trees that were reportedly mustard. I like your suggestion that I can be faithful and tough...suits me well. Thank you. Susan