Thursday, July 14, 2011

No Time For Pity Parties

Today I had a PET Scan.  If you have never had the pleasure of this experience, take it from me, pass on that.  Fortunately, I was experienced enough to insist on the early morning appointment, rather than go for the afternoon appointment.  You may not eat 6 hours before the exam and there is a little lie detection test they give you, otherwise known as a blood sugar test, just to make sure.  Next they inject you with some radio-active sugar and make you drink a small amount of a barium cocktail while you sit for 45 minutes so that everything has a chance to work through your body.

While I sat, I was alone in a small room, reclined in a lazy boy chair, covered with a warm blanket, the lights were dimmed, and soothing music played a small boom box. I was grateful not to be drinking my berry flavored barium in the waiting room, but I felt a little sad.  That sadness grew and I was approaching a full-blown pity party when I caught myself and told myself to "snap out of it."

I don't say this to sound inspirational or act all goody two shoes, because that is not what I am aiming at here, I really did this.  I simply realized as I was feeling sorry for myself that it didn't feel good.  I was facing something unpleasant and my attitude made me feel worse.  As soon as I made a conscious effort to change my attitude, I started to feel better.  Once I started feeling better, I was able to pass the time in a peaceful and pleasant way, and it was over before I knew it. 

In fact, I was soon having my port de-accessed and scooping up some coffee cake in the chemotherapy room before striding out the door.  Having a PET scan is not a pleasant way to spend a morning, but I will be grateful for the information that it gives my doctor and the help it will give me in making treatment decisions.  As for my attitude, it is a work in progress, but I hope that I will keep selecting a positive one as long as I am able.

Susan

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thank you