Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Bucket List Line Item

My friend Roxanne called me when I was in Maine to tell me, very excitedly, that her father had consented to let us take his 1966 Corvette for a ride.  He has owned that car, nearly all of her life, and this was the first time that she was going to be able to drive it for any distance.  Her father has always been a hard working man who delighted in his toys and took excellent care of them.
 
Driving this car was a life long dream for her and we meet up in Bucksport, Maine at a favorite Chinese Restaurant of mine.  When she came over the bridge she called us so that we could see her pull in. 

This car is a beautiful sight to behold and makes a yearly appearance in the Brooks, Maine, Fourth of July parade.  She stated to me on the phone that she was all stressed out driving this car and was going to enjoy relaxing over lunch.  I chided her that this was supposed to be fun and that she was accomplishing a bucket list item that had been on her wish list a lifetime.

Over lunch I enjoyed teasing her but knowing how much her father loves that car I could appreciate her angst about getting that car back to him safe and sound.  After lunch my sister returned home and Roxanne and I took pictures and then went for a ride.  In my adult life I have not had the pleasure of riding in a collector's automobile and I loved it.  It was so cool to see the inside of the car and all the components from 1966 (the knobs, the radio, etc)..so cool to experience a piece of history.  Cars are a lot different today and this car had no power steering and a big powerful engine which made it sound and feel like we were driving a lot faster than we were.

It was a lot of fun to share this experience with Roxanne and I owe a debt of gratitude to her father for this treat.  That being said, I turned into a nervous Nelly and kept imploring Roxanne to slow down.  We giggled and talked and I snapped pictures of all aspects of this car but was relieved when we pulled into her parent's driveway. 

Once there, we enjoyed taking pictures of ourselves with the car and I declare that this was the best part of the experience.  Her father and mother came out and laughed at us and posed us and took even more pictures.  Roxanne joked with her father that if she had driven the car twenty years ago she would have had the scare of her life and the intrigue would have been gone.
car door view of knobs
At any rate, Roxanne is the very best bucket list buddy to have and if I had more creativity and an endless supply of money you would see us crossing things off the list on a monthly basis.  I hope that everyone had a wonderful Independence Day.  I am looking forward to seeing the Brooks, Maine parade pictures from Roxanne.  It is a big hometown celebration there and I am sorry to have missed it.

Roxanne...I love you and I love our adventures.  Let's start planning the next one!! 
Susan

2 comments:

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Now THAT was quite a treat! I am old enough to be your mother, and I remember the Corvettes from 1966, but I have yet to ride in one! I always dreamed of having one (or a 1957 T-Bird Convertible), but don't think it will happen in THIS life time. Not too sure it will happen in the next, either...although it might look pretty good driving on those streets of gold someday! Thanks for sharing with us! That was special...and you are fortunate to have such a wonderful friend! That's the REAL treasure!!

Roxanne Ashey said...

That was most certainly a memory made day!! and many years in the making...the majority of my favorite memories are with you...looking forward to many more to come...love you susan!!