Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Sometimes we get what we deserve ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpodVp6LH8s
Mercy Came Running by Phillips, Craig & Dean

There are certainly times in life when we are in need of some discipline and God deals with us.  I have been taken to the proverbial woodshed many times in my life.  This week I had the priveledge to have a seat front and center and was able to see God's mercy in action.

I accompanied a client to court to advocate for her on a drunk driving offense (she has given permission for me to write this blog about her.  It is her desire to give God the glory).  My personal opinion was that she deserved to go to jail.  I have been working with her since last July after she was arrested. We have been addressing her issues and anxiety, especially her extreme anxiety about being confined in jail.  She is a new believer and had been praying in earnest for God's mercy.  She saw this situation as her "wake-up" call and had taken a lot of action to change her life since her arrest.  I should add that she has been quite faithful and resolute in these changes and has not wavered from them even a little.

I attended court with her to testify but also because I wanted to try to make sure her sentencing was immediate (it had been put off several times drawing out and causing unbearable anxiety for her) and I wanted to be there when she fell apart upon hearing she would go to jail.  I fully believed that this would be what happened.  I thought it was unavoidable. Apparently, I was wrong.

What I am taking away from this experience is a humbleness and new appreciation for God's mercy.  Divine love and mercy truly goes beyond our understanding.  Good thing!  I do not pretend to understand what happens in this world.  I do not understand why some things happen to some people and how others are spared what looks to be an oncoming disaster.  I DO know that my understanding of justice is human and that God merits out his mercy according to His own divine love and understanding.

I have a new appreciation for the saying..."Relax..God is in charge".  I also intend to work on being less judgemental the next time I see what looks to me to be someone NOT being held accountable.  It will no doubt be a sign that divine love and mercy are in play and that I should mind my own business.

Sigh...I am a work in progress.

Susan

No comments: