Thursday, January 20, 2011

When Life Knocks You Down...

The Karate Kid movie arrived courtesy of netflix this week.  I had seen the movie with my mother in Florida, when it was out in the theaters, and really enjoyed it.  Just like the first time I saw it tears slid down my face when Dre Parker (Jaden Smith) delivers the line "when life knocks you down you can choose to get back up".  If you have not seen this movie I encourage you to get it.  I found it very inspirational and very true.

Life will without question knock us down but only we can decide to lay there and feel sorry for ourselves or to get back up.  This is not always easy.  If you have ever had the wind knocked out of you it might take a few minutes of laying there stunned before you get back up.  At times, getting up is only possible when a good friend extends a hand of encouragement and a little momentum. 

This movie delivers on getting up when life knocks you down, facing your fears and the importance of friendship.  I would like to say more but I don't want to ruin it for you if you haven't seen it.  I know a little bit about all three.  I have laid on the mat a couple of times and contemplated the wisdom of getting up.  Some days it would seem like a better idea to stay down.  When I find myself in that situation I am overcome by sheer curiosity to find out what is next on this journey.  So far, I have not been disappointed.

If you are finding yourself in a struggle keep getting up.  It might be the last thing you want to do.  It might feel like a terrible idea but there are sure to be good times coming up around the bend.  You don't want to miss those do you?  Of course not, you have more fight in you so keep going.

No comments: