Friday, January 7, 2011

I Have No Value

In my practice I use a list of negative cognition's.  I give it to my clients as we set up for an EMDR session.  As we focus on our target I ask them to look over the list and tell me what negative cognition best describes how they feel about themselves related to the issue we are targeting.  Though I ask for a statement I am often given several.

"I am a disappointment.  I am permanently damaged.  I am shameful.  I am stupid.  I am worthless.  I deserve to die.  I am ugly."  The list goes on and on.  They feel in their heart of hearts that they have no value.  They do not know that they are children of God.  They do not know that they were crafted and woven by a God who loves them.  They are lost.

I do not market myself as a Christian counselor.  I have a heart for the lost.  They come in droves.  Weary, empty and sad.  My brother recently had a meaningful talk with his friend whom he had not seen for awhile.  He challenged him that if he asked God to show himself he would be amazed that it would happen.  It would happen in an unusual and quiet way.  I probably will not occur in a clap of thunder and appearance though I wouldn't advise anyone to rule it out.

I don't know what your spiritual life is like.  I don't want to preach to you.  I will ask you to consider the advice my brother gave his friend.  If any of the negative cognitions strike a cord with you then I would ask you to read the following verses.

The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children. Now if we are children, then we are heirs--heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory.  See Romans 8

We have value.  We cannot earn our way to worthiness.  Our value does not rest in what we do but in what we are.  We are children of the King.  Repeat that to yourself the next time you catch your reflection in the mirror. 

Susan

No comments: