Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Saying Goodbye To The Red Devil

Adriamycin is a chemotherapy drug that is bright red in color and well known for being extremely toxic hence the nickname Red Devil.  My Doctor was pleased with how well my cancer responded to this drug but elected to only give me 4 doses of it as it poses a serious risk to my heart to do more than that.

Whenever I have been put on chemotherapy I have been given a printout of all the side effects and symptoms to be on watch for and what to do if the symptoms persist.  If you ever find yourself in these shoes, keep in mind that this reading material should be reserved for a time when you are feeling pretty good.  It can be downright scary.

I had my last dose of Adriamycin and Cytoxan yesterday.  Today I had my injection of Neulasta to boost my immune system after the tremendous hit it just took.  I learned today that taking over the counter Claritin has been said to help with the tremendous pain that follows this injection so I picked up some.  I will let you know if I notice a difference because in the past I have suffered a lot of pain.

It is strangely true.  Claritin minimized the pain I was in and the duration.  I am not sure why this works but it did.

The plan from here is to take an oral medication to help keep things at bay and when things progress I will have to go back on chemotherapy.  My doctor states that it is unrealistic to think that I will get the cancer into remission and be able to go off treatment.  I will take this under advisement but I still believe in the power of prayer.  I have a lot of people praying for me across the country.  I owe them a debt of gratitude for taking time out to remember me.  Thank you everyone!!

Susan

2 comments:

Kate said...

I hope the Claritin helps with the pain, and yes, you do have a prayer army working for you. Rest up and look forward to Mom on Saturday! :-)

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.depressionmedicationhelp.com]prescription tilker prices
[/url]
Depressionmedicationhelp Pharmacy, Anabolic steroids price list.
[url=http://www.depressionmedicationhelp.com]irscil
[/url]
Prices of anabolic steroids. Buy anabolic steroids online. Anabolic steroids best buy.
[url=http://www.depressionmedicationhelp.com]deplaeol
[/url]
Where can i buy anabolic steroids? How to buy anabolic steroids? Where to buy anabolic steroids?
[url=http://www.depressionmedicationhelp.com]depressionmedicationhelp Pharmacy[/url]