Sunday, January 2, 2011

Love Is The Resolution

If you look up resolution in the dictionary it says a resolve is a determination: to make a firm resolution to do something. It also defines resolution as an act of resolving or determining upon an action or course of action, method, procedure, etc. .

I can think of nothing that I want for 2011 except more love in my life.  I would like a lot of things that I do not have control over.  Of course.  Since I don't have a say in some things, I am determined to spend my time loving and being loved.  I am resolved to a loving course of action, to use loving methods and more loving procedures.

Tan...Moments After Being Born
1 Corinthians 13 defines love this way

Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.  Love never ends.

This is a picture of my son after he was born and I dressed him in the outfit I bought for him.  He was born in our little home with me and Huy and our midwife to assist.  It was exactly the way I wanted it to be.  I couldn't stop looking at him that day.  I can't stop looking at him now.  He is loved.  I may not be able to give him everything I want him to have but I will do what I can to ensure that he is surrounded by love.
Being a parent helps you realize what love means in ways you didn't imagine before.  Love is not always easy.  Some times it is an effort.  Having cancer has redefined a lot in my life.  It certainly has shifted my priorities and how I plan my days. I can think of no endeavor more worthy of my time and effort than loving.  I can think of no better way to ensure that not a moment of my time is wasted. 

I like that song sung by Kris Allen - Live Like Were Dying.  I suggest that you look it up on YouTube.com if you are interested.  If you knew you were dying how would you choose to live your last days?  I don't believe that my life is over.  In fact, I think it is just getting started.  That being said I like to hedge my bets because it seeems prudent.  Time is a luxury that none of us are assured that we have.
This year my son will be two years old.  I have not been able to parent him exactly the way that I wanted or envisioned the first day he was with me.  I have had a lot of help, though, and that help has been given in love.  He will need a lot of love and patience this year from me and from all his care givers.  I pray that God will continue to bless our family as we work on loving Tan and loving each other.  I pray that 2011 will be a year filled with love and blessings for you and your family as well.

Susan

1 comment:

Kate said...

I loved the photo of you and Huy and Tan...the smiles are priceless. I totally agree with your outlook on living and loving, and think it should be the outlook adopted by us all. My ex-husband was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes a while back, and his doctor told him that the diabetic diet was actually the ideal diet for everyone to follow every day. He said if more people followed the regimen, they would be much healthier over all. I liken that scenario to your thoughts on love. Why don't we all live, as the songs goes, like we were dying? Why do so many of us have to wait for something outside of our control to teach us to do things right? The vast majority of us know how to behave appropriately, how to eat properly, how to love, and also important, we need to know how to accept being loved, but we wait to get hit by a truck to learn to not walk in front of them. I find as I grow older I have learned many ways to be true to myself and those that I love, and that love me in return. I just told my daughter,,,have a great day...its the only today that you get. Live it well, my friend, and hug that baby (and your mommy) for me.