Monday, December 5, 2011

The Innocence of Children

My beautiful son is 32 months old and fast approaching three years old.  He has a great sense of humor and is language skills improve by the day.  I still cannot keep my eyes off his face.  I never tire of looking at him. 

My heart is a bit heavy the last few days.  My work brings me face to face with the pain and suffering that is so prevalent in this world we live in.  We live in a world where people hurt each other, and whether or not the they do it intentionally or carelessly, the consequences are real.  It is hard to avoid hearing about it and sadly the triumphs in this life are not broadcast as far or as often.

I write this because we are in the Christmas season.  This is a time of celebrating the birth of the child that came to save the world.  Yes. it has become very commercialized, but through the eyes of a child it is a beautiful, magical time.  My son is awestruck by the lights and the decorations.  He looks at the houses and all their adornments with admiration.  They glow so pretty in the dark.

I intend to take this heavy heart of mine and work on making this year a time of celebration for my son.  I commit to protecting his innocence and I commit to protecting him.  I will guard myself when I am angry or tired or feeling sick and respond to him lovingly. I will forgive myself and re-commit when I fall short because I am a human parent.

 I will use appropriate discipline that is neither harsh nor abusive because I love him and it is my job to guide him but not harm him.  I will remember that I have a voice and an influence in this world.  I will continue to shine my light into the world in the hope and prayer that I can make a difference in other children's lives as well.  They will grow to be the citizens and neighbors of my son.

I hope and pray that this will be a reminder to you, this Christmas season, to be kind and generous.  I hope you will also shine your light into a dark world and offer a hand to lift someone up. 

Susan

In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.  Matthew 5:16

No comments: