Friday, December 16, 2011

A Full Serving of Christmas Joy

My sister is here from Maine and we are trying to get all of our holiday celebrating in before she leaves.  Sadly, it is only a week past chemotherapy so I am dragging a bit.  My son is 2 years and 8 months and is in quite awe of all things Christmas and shiny.  Today while he was napping and as I looked on, Mom, Dad and Tracey drug out all the boxes of Christmas decorations and put up the tree.

When I was a single woman I bought glass hummingbirds and glass three tiered bells for my Christmas decorations.  These are not toddler friendly and he has a real tendency to be rough or wing things across the room. This year Dad had this brilliant idea to decorate the tree with my little wee bears which really brought me back.  www.weebearvillage.com   They are so cute and so funny.  Check out the website.  I have almost all of them. 

I discovered them in a coffee shop, years ago, and found that they were way too irresistible to pass up.  I indulged myself, thinking how much delight they would bring the child I hoped to have one day, but they brought me a lot of joy also.  When I met Huy and downsized my house they all went into a box and I always felt sort of sad that I didn't display them somehow or have a use for them.  I invested quite a bit of money in them and wondered if I had been foolish.  Today all those doubts were brought to rest and I was given a full serving of joy as all those past hopes and wishes culminated into a magical moment when his eyes saw the tree and all the animals.  He squealed and giggled and looked them all over.  There is a crocodile, an octopus, a colorful peacock and on and on.  They are all teddy bears wearing a complete and removable costume.

He seemed to know that we had done this for him.  I don't believe that he had ever seen the toys before as they had been packed up.  I think he thought it was the finest tree he had ever seen.  When he saw the pig, he said, "PIG!" and made a pig sound.  He kissed the duck costumed bear and said duck.  He admired the lights and named the colors.  This is going to be a fun Christmas for sure.  He found my nesting Santa doll and Grampy helped him take it apart.  He lined them all up on the table and then Grammy helped him put them all back together.  He then scooped up the Santa and put him back on the table in his original resting spot.

I have a full heart this evening.  The memory of this day will be with me always.  I want to thank my generous family for all the heavy lifting today that I could not do.  I was able to cut and ribbon the ornaments for the tree.  I had a nice birds eye view when the magic Christmas moment occurred.  It is nice to see the purchases I have made over the years and the special gifts I have safe guarded thrill my child.  I think this will be one of my happiest Christmas' yet.  It seems so many of my dreams have come true.  I pray that God will give me some energy and stamina so that I may participate as much as my heart yearns.

Happy Holidays My Dear Friends,

Susan

No comments: