Saturday, December 4, 2010

The Power of a Positive Word

As the clock ticked away bringing me closer to chemo treatment number two I was filled with dread.  It is one thing to get sick.  It is another thing entirely to know that you are about to do something that will cause you to be very sick.  I was trying to follow Dr. Matei's advice that I needed to be positive about this treatment for maximum benefit.  I was struggling to get there.  On 11-29-10 I met with Dr. Matei and spoke to the nurses who felt confident that I would not be as sick this time around.  Dr. Matei also informed me that I would be having four treatments rather than four months of once every three weeks. This meant that I was half way done already.

A few well placed words of positive encouragement and I felt like I could face the treatment.  My strength began to return and I felt positive again.  I think it was pretty evident that I was not excited about chemotherapy but hope had been restored.  I am receiving a lot of emotional support and prayer but I was still struggling with some fear and negativity.  I cannot emphasize enough that a few words of encouragement given at the right moment can make a huge difference in some one's day.  I know because these words of encouragement made all the difference for me.

I do pretty well to keep myself in a positive place.  I think my readers can testify to that.  Facing the holidays with the thought of being ill and losing my hair and all that chemotherapy entails was enough to derail me momentarily.  It amazes me how quickly I was able to recover with just a few kind words and a small ray of hope.  Yesterday, I was struck by how sad, miserable and daunting it can be to face the holidays when you do not have a foundation of love and healthy family life to draw from.  I told the young couple to keep it simple and fun.  Get a tree and lights and then buy popcorn and paint.  Give each other one gift and one home made card and maybe one gift for the house.  If they want to do more of a gift giving save it for Valentines Day and take advantage of the sales.  I gave them permission to refuse to attend any and all holiday parties. 

They left my office relieved.  The pressure of a first Christmas with all that they are facing was just too much.  Throw in college and military life and the mix got ugly.  I hope that you will remember a few things this holiday season as well.  First of all it is supposed to be fun and not stressful.  If it is stressful then please consider toning it down.  Next remember that a few kind words of encouragement can breathe life into someone who is struggling so please give generously of them.  Please sprinkle these powerful and positive words along your way this holiday season as you never know when someone might really need them.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Loved your advise to the couple regarding Christmas, Susan. So many people get so caught up in the chaos they think is Christmas, and lose site of what it is supposed to be about. We are doing our best to keep ourselves in the spirit of advent, hearts and heads toward the real meaning of the day, and feel happily out of step with the chaos around us. Our gifts are simple, few in number and made from what we produce in the garden or from the maple trees.

We get a chuckle riding around town looking at some of the overdone displays of blinking colored lights, blow up vinyl santa's and snowmen glowing and blowing in the wind. Our code name when we see one on the road is "There's another snoopy's doghouse!"

So glad there are others that resist the temptation to be stressed and chaotic in what should be a season of love!

Stay focused on the season, your family, and know you are loved by so many.

Sarah