Tuesday, October 25, 2011

A Little Glimpse of Heaven

I keep getting this little glimpse of heaven in such a strange way.  Our little grandson Tan has grown up with some elegant dietary expectations thanks to his "gramPY".    At our house the refrigerator is ALWAYS stocked with a fresh selection of strawberries and more importantly, raspberries, just for you-know-who.  When he comes each evening Paul prepares a little dish with some of this fruit for Tan.  Tan has this cute way of fingering the berry up to his mouth and then popping it in with his index finger, one after the other.  (he also dragged me over to the refrigerator the other day and said "juice - me".  He's getting his language skills down pretty well)   Anyway, back to the point.  I sometimes want to say to Tan, "do you have any idea what raspberries cost???" but of course he doesn't.   From his perspective, they just appear and are there for him to enjoy in whatever quantity he needs or wants.  The concept of cost, money, labor and reward are irrelevant and unheard of.  The only currency he understands is the little kiss I request and am given.

This is my reminder and picture of heaven.  I look forward to the time when my needs are met not on what I can earn but on what I already inherited.  When all is provided with no cost.  A mansion, a feast, everything beyond what I can comprehend or imagine.  Not for a day or a week or a year but for eternity.  Not perishable but imperishable.   Just like the Children of Israel who took possession of a land flowing with milk and honey and great and splendid cities which they did not build, and houses full of all good things which they did not fill, and hewn cisterns which they did not dig, and vineyards and olive trees which they did not plant, I will have an eternal refrigerator stocked and supplied for me by the One who already meets all of my needs.  What's not to like about that?  

Oh, help me Father to focus on the eternal and not on today, on your purpose and not my own, and to trust you when I am afraid. 

2 comments:

Kate said...

Quite powerful, my friend. Sometimes we need an analogy as such to see things more clearly. Thank you.

Swimac said...

Thank you, Becky, for that powerful reminder. P.S. (For me it will be pineapple!)