Friday, October 28, 2011

Family

I am privileged to work in a profession where I meet a lot of people.  Over the years my taste has changed and I find that I like the colorful characters the best.  Speaking of color, my Dad and I like to watch nature programs and he is sure to say with each viewing, "God has a lot of fun with color, doesn't He?"  I realize that my father may be referring to the marvelous variety among the hundreds of species of hummingbirds in that program but, as my thoughts linger on the interesting conversations I have had this week, my agreement is weighted with more depth and reflection.

We grew up with the idea that the United States was a melting pot and later in my Master's program the idea was suggested that, in fact, we are like a tossed salad.  A really great salad contains lots of variety in the ingredients, and if you look into the salad bowl you can easily identify what is what, as they remain sliced or chopped, but recognizable as their whole self.  We have not immigrated here and given up our identities.  Instead, we joined communities, gained employment and contribute in our own unique ways.  We are who we are but we form part of the whole.

Family is like that.  We grow up each forming a part of the salad and each adding to it in our own way.  There are many characters in a family and that can lead to conflict and division.  This is not always pleasant, but having a bowl of iceberg lettuce only seems hardly a salad.  It is dull.  It is lonely.  It is not very fun to eat.

Family is the very foundation of our lives.  It serves as our spring board each day to launch our lives.  It is the very air that we breath and the wind that we propel ourselves forward with.  Sadly, this can easily be taken for granted in large and extended families when each member does not give thought to the role they play in the success or the demise of the other family members.  Sharp words of criticism, selfish acts, negativity or a spirit on non-cooperation can begin to spoil the salad.  Generosity, patience, random acts of kindness aimed at family members, commitment to family goals, and intentional attempts to contribute positively to the family can do wonders.

It is not any more difficult to contribute to the good of the family than it is to contaminate it.  The more we examine our role in our salad, and take responsibility for the responses by its members, regarding our word and deeds, the more we can seek to make positive changes in the functioning.  It takes a degree of awareness and a great deal of commitment toward the good of the whole.  When things are at it's best our salad is full and crisp.  Each member has chosen to come and make their presence known and contribute by adding a measure of them self to it.  It becomes full and colorful and nutritious to those who are able to indulge in the eating of it.

There are those who would not make time for salad making.  There is so much to do at home.  Stress can get the better of these members and they will be absent from the salad.  It will be too far to travel.  Schedules will conflict.  It may time a long time to plan a get together and opportunities to get every one there may be quite few and far between.  Sadly, this tragedy compromises the ability to jump in and function as a great and bountiful salad.
We are entering into the season of family.  In writing this blog, I am not suggesting that we all make salads, but rather we come together in creative ways to connect and build family ties.  Have we harmed each other?  Have we been rude and uncaring?  Was I selfish and forgetful?  I pray that God will give me the courage to seek forgiveness and ensure that I contribute and uplift those in my family.  I pray that this year we grow stronger and closer.  I pray we narrow the spaces between us so that we may stand together when the tribulations of life come.

Don't forget the croutons as you examine yourself and take your inventory.

Susan

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

In our salad we also have an odd assortment of nuts, which makes life really interesting!

Pamela M. Steiner said...

I like your analogy immensely! Never thought about family quite that way before. I also like what "anonymous" said about the odd assortment of nuts in her family...we can all relate to that comment. I was going to say some of our families are more like a "fruitcake"! LOL! Thanks for the ideas!!

Jo said...

I am the olive oil...