Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The Hard Part...

Looking back at this journey, I would have to say that the hard part is staying upbeat and not giving in to feeling discouraged.  I tend to struggle with this when I have a series of days when I feel sick and am in pain.  It has been over two years now and I am still maintaining a remarkable good level of wellness but on the days following chemotherapy and the injection of Neulasta...it is hard to remember that.

If anyone has any tips on how they maintain a positive outlook when things are not going well then I hope you post it because I could use it.  I find, for myself, that I lean on my support system during these times, I keep my eyes fixed on where I am going, and I try to keep moving forward and reminding myself that "this too shall pass." 

When I do feel discouraged, I acknowledge this as reasonable and a normal part of the ebb and flow of life.  It is easier for me to move past it when I validate why I feel this way rather than beat myself up or consider it a lack of faith.  I cry a little.  I sulk a little.  I distract myself and then I try to get back on target.

Your thoughts and suggestions welcome.

Susan

2 comments:

Jo said...

I think you answered your own request when you talked about acknowledging your feelings. People burn a lot of energy and time trying to tell themselves not to feel what they are feeling and have every right to feel. So crawl into bed with a box of tissues and just let 'er rip, knowing that you have survived so much and you will certainly survive this day, and the next day may have blessings you cannot imagine.
And let me put in a plug for the Psalms. We tend to remember the happy or comforting psalms, but there are even more that are confused, sad, and downright pissed off! They are there because we were created fully human, and we worship a broad-shouldered God who sees and takes it all, even giving us a Savior who was fully human and who experienced pain, anger, loneliness... there is no place we can be where Jesus has not been.
God is in both the blessings and the disappointments -- and the final word is God's.
Well, that's what I believe and has seen me safe thus far, anyway.

Pamela M. Steiner said...

I would like to say "ditto" to what your friend Jo said. She is right on. I am not really qualified to comment because I have not walked in your shoes. My son has been walking in similar shoes,however; but thankfully he has been enjoying some very good days lately...so much so (thank the Lord) that he was able to go on a "moose hunt" with his 12 yr. old son, Noah. YOu, being originally from Maine can surely relate to the right of passage that is for men and boys in Maine. The fact that a little over a year ago Matt was diagnosed with a very rare and aggressive cancer, went through over 6 months of chemo + many more months of chemo pills (still on), but the fact that he was given this chance to experience something so bonding as a moose hunt with his son should also encourage others going through similar difficulties...Hold on to your dreams and hopes...look forward to the day that you will go on a "moose hunt" of sorts with your son...One day at a time...God will carry you through. We're all pulling for you. (((hugs)))